Bow Addons

ItZ x TaCt1CaL2

A few ideas for the bow, as it is not as good a weapon (for me so far) as I would like. So a few ideas are say, you can use leather or cured deer hide to increase ergonomics thereby decreasing bow sway. Or Possibly you could introduce crafting recipes for a recurve and/or longbow. The recurve would use two wood types, as the base and end of the limbs need to be different prperties. The longbow would require more wood and possibly be a different wood altogether. The durability and flight path of arrows would be different for each bow. And this could cause a problem for the debs as this would need programming new flight path characteristics for arrows shot from each. A recurve bow shoots straighter than a longbow for a distance, then drops off in velocity. The longbow would shoot in a steady arc, and have more power.Lastly, though this one is the most far fetched, maybe you could turn it into something like a crude compound bow by the use of cord and cogs (which would be crafted from scrap metal.

I've now just successfully killed a deer with the bow, and I think it is overpowered. Base on the arc of the arrow the draw weight isn't that high, yet it was able to one shot a deer. I think the bow should take more shots to kill 2+, andthere should be a mechanic where you have to retrieve your arrow, the thing being you have a chance to not get the arrow back.

A few ideas for the bow, as it is not as good a weapon (for me so far) as I would like. So a few ideas are say, you can use leather or cured deer hide to increase ergonomics thereby decreasing bow sway. Or Possibly you could introduce crafting recipes for a recurve and/or longbow. The recurve would use two wood types, as the base and end of the limbs need to be different prperties. The longbow would require more wood and possibly be a different wood altogether. The durability and flight path of arrows would be different for each bow. And this could cause a problem for the debs as this would need programming new flight path characteristics for arrows shot from each. A recurve bow shoots straighter than a longbow for a distance, then drops off in velocity. The longbow would shoot in a steady arc, and have more power.Lastly, though this one is the most far fetched, maybe you could turn it into something like a crude compound bow by the use of cord and cogs (which would be crafted from scrap metal.

Wrapping the handle in leather will not improve the "ergonomics" of the bow, all it will do is make the handle thicker. You improve the "ergonomics" by carving the handle to fit your hand. Padding goes on top of that

Recurve bows don't use multiple types of wood. All a "recurve" is is when the tips of the bow-limbs curve "away" from the user, increasing power. Not really necessary in a survival (or any bow, really) bow. The "self-bow" style is more than powerful enough. You can make a recurve by boiling/steaming the limb tips, which is more work than it is worth.

Longbows are a whole 'nother animal entirely. They require similar "construction" to a self-bow, but the knowledge required is more advanced. Much less the actual strength required to draw the damn thing.

Believe me, the in-game bow is plenty "good" as a weapon already. Coming from someone who builds bows and arrows, it is actually, in all seriousness, "TOO good". Real-life bowmkaing is really hard, with a lot of knowledge-of-physics and woodworking experience required.

Want a "realistic" survival bow? Build a bundle-bow.

Personally I love hunting with a bow in this game and I agree with what you are suggesting. However hunting is a fun part of the game, but it's not what the dev wants to focus on. It takes time to practise, but I hunt everything from bunnies to bears with bow. With enough experiment and practice, you can actually drop any animal with only one arrow, including bears.

I've now just successfully killed a deer with the bow, and I think it is overpowered. Base on the arc of the arrow the draw weight isn't that high, yet it was able to one shot a deer. I think the bow should take more shots to kill 2+, andthere should be a mechanic where you have to retrieve your arrow, the thing being you have a chance to not get the arrow back.

I gotta go against this slightly. The damage must depend on the area of the prey it hits. The more realistic the better.

Archived