About tubers and getting wet

Coldy

Alright, first off, i know that getting wet and freezing has already been evoked in the 'TLD needs a hardcore mod' post at the 2nd page (and I totally agree with those ideas) but I'd just like to add that on the clothes, along with the warmth bonus and the wind proof bonus, they should be a 'dry bonus' so clothes like 'mariner's pea coat' would be very waterproof while other wool like clothes would get wet easier.

Secondly, when running late in the game, food becomes way more scarce and as I saw many topics talk about shovels (but for different reasons) I thought 'why not tubers' and well potatoes are pretty famous as I saw. This would come with risks as during the long (frozen ground) time you search for tubers and dig then up, you might freeze and find nothing. I imagine it kinda like fishing but with less frequent finds. They would be different kind of tubers (from little dry ones to giant tasty potatoes) but it would deteriorate your shower as much with one then another. So it might be totally worth it, or not at all. It all depends on your skill (like starting fire and crafting).

Good luck to the devs anyway and keep up the good stuff ;)

Hey Coldy, welcome to the forum. :)

It's an interesting thought, but tubers are not typically a good winter survival food. 3 reasons in this case. And let's just remember that the goal of finding food is to collect more calories than you spend:

1. Potatoes don't grow wild in BC. But let's argue another tuber is present and could be used as food:

2. Location of the tubers-- If the ground is very obscured by snow, how will you know where to dig? You can't just dig a hole and hope there's food in it.. there's no way that could be a reliable means of gaining calories. (I suppose there's a chance that remnant vegetation could act as an indicator--e.g. cattails for cattail roots)

3. Accessing the tubers-- There could easily be 50 - 150 cm of snow that you need to dig through, just to get at the ground. If the ground is frozen, you'd probably need to use your axe to break through the frozen top layer of soil. So, I think it's quite doubtful that you could expect to gain calories this way just given the amount of calories you would need to spend.

Ultimately, I don't believe that food is (currently) a limiting factor in the game, now that there is so much ammo available for hunting (and respawning bears).

Then why not devil's club :twisted: I'm sure at 100% that this grows wild in Canada. It could present a new danger (low, you don't see it and you can get infected/hurt by it) as well as a reward (make a tea either as food or antibiotic) what do you think about that? ;)

Then why not devil's club :twisted: I'm sure at 100% that this grows wild in Canada. It could present a new danger (low, you don't see it and you can get infected/hurt by it) as well as a reward (make a tea either as food or antibiotic) what do you think about that? ;)

haha interesting thought. :) It certainly is abundant in parts of BC. In the winter it's not as nasty, since the leaves have a lot of spines, and they're gone. The stalks are nasty enough though I suppose! Deerskin pants might protect against it, but the other pants in game would offer little protection from the prickles.. I've gotten my fair share and they're pretty uncomfortable, but not really life-threatening.

Anyway, I believe it is the roots that are used medicinally, but I've never tried it.

As far as getting into frozen ground, just build a fire. The fire thaws the ground and then you can dig. Bigger the fire, the wider/deeper it thaws.

We had to do this to dig fighting positions in Colorado.... only to fill them back in a week later. Training exercises (sigh).

Building a fire would work to get through the snow and frozen ground, but still has the issue of requiring too much work to effectively search a broad area -- especially if there's no guarantee of finding anything.

Whether you're spending calories foraging wood or digging, you're still spending calories you're unlikely to get back. Unless, as mentioned above, you can narrow your search area enough to be assured of success. (Regardless, in-game, I don't see a good way of making this work!)

Building a fire would work to get through the snow and frozen ground, but still has the issue of requiring too much work to effectively search a broad area -- especially if there's no guarantee of finding anything.

Whether you're spending calories foraging wood or digging, you're still spending calories you're unlikely to get back. Unless, as mentioned above, you can narrow your search area enough to be assured of success. (Regardless, in-game, I don't see a good way of making this work!)

I agree. Unless I had planted an item to harvest, I would not be digging up the ground.

Archived