Forging metal, knapping flint

SteveP

It would be nice to have a forge for making metal tools such as knives and smelting ores perhaps. You could add gold nuggets to the game however it would be funny to have players toting around useless pounds of gold as it has little to no use for survival. You could have an obsidian knife that harvests meat and guts faster since it is sharper than steel. You could make stone arrow tips.

Sure, it would (could?) be nice.... but realistic? not really at all. It's not a typical thing to do or have, and I don't think it would fit in the game well. I'm not suggesting that the game is 100% realistic (nor should it be), but it's needs to have a thread of plausibility at least :)

Stone tools have been mentioned before. I'd prefer to make the player think about conserving the steel tools they have rather than giving them an easy option to replace everything-- of course, this could be balanced by making ingredients (e.g. obsidian) very rare and so forth..

Eventually, every bit of metal ends up wearing out. If you were making or repairing knives or axes, you'd need a forge to be realistic. Plenty of farms and places in Canada have or had forges so you can't say it's not realistic. I'm starting to run low on metal now at day 160~ The days get a bit tedious, since you need other activities aside from hunting and fishing to fill the time. In real survival, both flint knapping and forges would be important assets in a long term survival where you had to repair or replace items. I'd definitely like to see more animals and items!

I still smelt all my pop cans, any thing that's aluminum , brass, copper, junk. I use it all for forging and blocks to feed the cnc, but its more of a hobby. So I guessing I'm saying ya your right I only know two others in my area that have one and its my fault I got them started. I'm abnormal but I like it that way.

As I see it adding a forge in game will open a door that would flood the game. I have been forging for years and to make a good blade takes a lot of time and practice. Plus where do they stop, you know people will want spears knifes swords and I don't think it would be long before some one asked to make a musket or small cannon. It would probably be me. This is one door I hope they stay away from.

just a thought add a hacksaw then you could cut out some body panel of a car. Then fold it and hammer the life out of it. You could make a crude knife. This might even take it to far.

Archived