craft able bandages

Radrunner

Would be nice if you could craft bandages. Especially with old mandatory bear doubling as a second in game disinfectant. As a result the original disinfectant is heavy and rather useless.

Perhaps a solution would be to be able to make bandages out of cloth and soak them in disinfectant via the crafting menu for an hour?

Would give a use for that useless disinfectant and solve the bandage crisis.

Any one have similar though?

Not saying it's useless persay . I just always have about 3-4 times as many disinfectants as bandages. A way to make the ratios more even would be nice... or to take the excess of one to somehow off set the shortcomings of the other...

In terms of cloth once you get kitted out in the skins of your prey the amount you need cloth to repair drops off significantly. ..

Perhaps a solution would be to be able to make bandages out of cloth and soak them in disinfectant via the crafting menu for an hour...

As a player, you already have the ability to craft bandages out of cloth, so I don't understand this talk about a 'bandage crisis'. What crisis? As long as you have cloth, you can rip it apart to make several bandages. That's already covered.

As for the second point: the thought of soaking bandages in disinfectant occurred to me as well, but when you think about it, it doesn't really make sense, since

1) you wouldn't want to put wet bandages in your backpack to begin with and

2) the disinfectant would dry out over time, rendering it useless.

So yeah, as long as you maintain a decent supply of old man's beard, the disinfectant pretty much becomes a useless prop. It might come in handy every now and again when you run out of old man's beard, though.

I do agree hauling around all the time with 0,7 litres of disinfectant all the time becomes a burden. It's just too much weight to carry around, and it's not like you have the option of transferring a certain amount into storage, like you have with water. But that's why I like the option of old man's beard so much. Lets me carry 3-4 bandages + disinfectant for the least amount of weight.

Perhaps a solution would be to be able to make bandages out of cloth and soak them in disinfectant via the crafting menu for an hour...

As a player, you already have the ability to craft bandages out of cloth, so I don't understand this talk about a 'bandage crisis'. What crisis? As long as you have cloth, you can rip it apart to make several bandages. That's already covered.

Whoa whoa whoa. You can make bandages from cloth?! WHAT?! How have I not discovered this yet.... to TLD!

...so I feel dumb. I was expecting the option to be in the crafting table, not in the inventory.

The disinfectant thought is to make it a little more resource intensive to craft them. The thought isn't to have wet bandages, but to sterilize them when you make them. Yes yes, they won't still be sterile when you apply them, ergo the need for more disinfectant, but I would rather apply a clean bandage than a dirt soaked one, wouldn't you?

Perhaps bandages could get two steps, similar to dirty vs clean water... dirty vs clean bandages. Cloth --> dirty bandage --> clean bandage via boiling and/or disinfectant.

I would rather apply a clean bandage than a dirt soaked one, wouldn't you?

Sure, and in real life you'd also want to stitch up your wounds* and change your bandages twice a day (you'd be out of bedroll real soon...). And of course you'd want to sterilise your sewing kit or fishing tackle before you used it on your flesh.

And so on and so forth...

It's fine balance between immersive realism and overcomplicating the game to the point where it subtracts from the fun. I for one like it for the relative simplicity of it's mechanics.

(There are some things I would like to see dual uses for - why can't one use Old Man's Beard for tinder, or eat Reishi Mushrooms for food, for instance? - This would add to the feeling of 'hard' choices one had to make. But other than that, keep it simple...)

* If that wolf attack can kill you from blood loss, those cuts are not superficial; so applying a bandage once will not make the wounds magically go away, as it does in the game. Just saying... full on realism in games is not feasible; it's also undesirable.

I agree.

I will have to see whether i actually use the antiseptic now that I have a few more bandages, or at least access to them, than i thought i did. Up until now I have been very sparing with my bandages so i always had more antiseptic or old man's beard than i knew what to do with,

Archived