Weight of clothes when worn - thoughts

drach33

How a person carries makes a difference in how much weight they can carry. For example a rifle carried on the shoulder might increase total carry weight by a pound or so vs carry it ready to shoot. And there are probaby other example such as type of pack.

This has been discussed in the past. While wearing something does spread out the load (wear 20 lbs of clothing vs carrying it under your arms), you still have to haul around the total weight. Project Zomboid has packs that reduce the weight of gear. This is to show how manageable the weight actual is, not that the weight is magically reduced but putting it into a bag. My take on it is simple, everything you are carrying is in your pack unless you are wearing it or it is equipped. So the weight reduction is automatically assumed. However, I think the real problem is the heaver crafted clothing (like a wolf skin coat) or higher end found gear (like insulated boots or the great jacket). I take this to mean the gear is more bulk, decreasing your efficiency of movement, making it "weigh" you down more.

It all comes down to game balance in the end. Being able to walk around in heavier, more protective clothing with no real penalty, makes the game easier. Carrying around all that high end gear adds about 20+ lbs to your load. That is 20 lbs of supplies the player can't haul without consequence. Therein lies the trade off. If I am in PV and going to push a deer into a wolf, I wear lighter gear. That allows me to haul more meat back home easily. If I am going to explore, then I wear heavier gear and take note of where the good supplies are located.

• 2 months later...

This is an old thread, but I have to agree with this. There is a huge difference between carrying 2.0kg boots in your backpack or wearing them. I feel that right now it is not totally fair that all your clothing is added to the weight you can carry. There should be a difference between wearing them and carrying them in your backpack.

Archived