Recognising wind direction

Hotzn

When wind is blowing strongly, you see it is carrying snow along and therefore can determine the direction it is coming from. However, if it's a little breeze you can't (save maybe for some places like Camp Office where you have a little flag moving in the wind). I would like to see my breath floating away from me in the air with the wind, so I can determine where it is blowing. This would help to better assess the risk of attracting wolves by smell. Of course stalker mode would have to be made harder to compensate, that goes without saying. 8-)

Or simply dropping a light weight object or dust to determine wind direction. For example bits of grass or leaves dropped. What's needed is a key for the action and

an indicator.

Depends on whether you're trying to check from a position of relative safety, or if you want to check while you're out and about.

For example, a wind sock would be useful if you're taking refuge in a fishing hut, or a rotted-out tree, or the porch of the big farmhouse.

Dropping bits of things might be more useful if you're trying to figure out a direction to run in quickly, but depending on how tumultuous the storm is, it may not be clear what direction it blows in.

Guys, your ideas are very creative, with wind socks and so on (craftable from a cotton sock and reclaimed wood, I presume), but did you actually read my post? We already have the breath hovering in the air for a second before dissipating. If that breath would move with the wind, that would be the only thing needed. And it would reflect reality. If I am outside when it's freezing, I don't need items to determine wind direction. Just breathe out once.

Guys, your ideas are very creative, with wind socks and so on (craftable from a cotton sock and reclaimed wood, I presume), but did you actually read my post? We already have the breath hovering in the air for a second before dissipating. If that breath would move with the wind, that would be the only thing needed. And it would reflect reality. If I am outside when it's freezing, I don't need items to determine wind direction. Just breathe out once.

agreed, this would be both helpful, and more realistic

Archived