Arguably best safehouse/region?

Glacia

I know this question have been already a common topic since the game exist, but several things have changed with new resources, mechanics and extra difficulty layers like the newly introduced Scurvy affliction.

So if we take everything you need on the long term, beachcombing and a resonable fishing source it's a must; you eventually run out of cloth, leather, arrow resources and other essential stuff. Even if you fish on lakes to prevent scurvy, you can't survive forever without renewable cloth and arrows (Mostly, the second).

Actually i find coastal highway much more punishing and tricky than other 'hard' regions, because cabin fever, long travel distances and the lack of forge/milling machine are a great annoyance. It's anyways the go-to for most players, but i think living on desolation point or bleak inlet let you survive infinitely without ever needing to leave the region:

- Easy beachcomb to get all needed resources and also food.

- Easy hunting and less risky than other regions.

- Forge or milling machine for infinite tools.

- Small regions = It's easy to quick move and avoid any damage, even on bad weather.

- At least if you have the essentials tools and clothing, you can keep them forever.

If we even go further, bleak inlet offers the best fishing spot shared only with the timberwolf mountain hut, a cabin a few steps of your home. This is something desolation point can't offer, and also the six stove on the lighthouse enables the best efficient cooking in the entire game because it's windshielded and outdoors to get the bonus duration. So bleak inlet it's harder but much more rewarding once you get the idea than DP, making it 'arguably' the best region by far in the game for the long term, and desolation point the second best but with a much easier experience surviving here.

What safehouse you use for the very long term?  

• Upvote 1

I've always used TWM as my base. Well, started with farmhouse in PV, but later decided to go to TWM and just love playing there. I don't think any of the advantages or disadvantages mean much, and that is because I always find myself needing to go somewhere else vice staying in one region. BI is likely my #2 spot, for many of the reasons you state. I find it easy to kill bear and moose there, but I am not a fan of the Timberwolves. Someone here once tipped me off to not kill them, but kill some of them and then the rest run. A great tip and made BI a place that I now visit more and more often. I like CH a lot too. As you say, the game keeps changing and that makes us all change as well. So I could see myself moving my main base somewhere else, but more likely I will just create multiple main bases. I also try to ensure all the other major places are stocked with essentials. This eliminates the need to carry everything with me when travelling. Having food and water already all along all my major paths, along with fire essentials and first aid items, means I can travel anywhere I need to without a lot of issues. Recently I started thinking about using Transfer Pass as a main. It makes sense to some degree...access to three rich regions and relatively safe...with enough food and very low on predators. No fish is the one thing that concerns me, but who knows what will open up with the next new area? Can always hike to ML for fish, and there again I always find myself hiking from region to region at some point. I will say the ONE PLACE I will NEVER make a main is Bleak...dunno why, but I just don't like even traversing that area. Could be I have ended quite a few runs there thanks to bear surprises?

• Upvote 1

If beachcombing is a must then choices are extremely limited. Otherwise I'm all about Broken Railroad, now that you can fish there. Endless supply of wolf meat & safe + easy shooting from the shed windows. Every other animal is there, too. Forge. You won't get lost in a blizzard.

I only like long stays at Bleak Inlet if Timberwolves are disabled. I don't agree with their mechanics at all. (I do customloper these days) Otherwise BI is really good. albeit not as "cozy" as other places.

• Upvote 1

I still have my main base on Trappers hut, even on the new interloper (currently at day 190). 

I just haul the fishes from the fishung hut to trappers with my travois, its still fast and without smell. So renewable vit C source is no concern. Im still very far away for cloth becoming scarce, and i still go to CH from time to time to beachcomb a little.

On my main, a ~700 day interloper, i used to note the days i killed bears, and return to CH whenever the day counter indicates that new ones could spawn, kill them for new hides and live in jackrabbits for a week or two to beachcomb. Will do that with my new character as well 

On 12/21/2023 at 9:00 PM, Glacia said:

I know this question have been already a common topic since the game exist, but several things have changed with new resources, mechanics and extra difficulty layers like the newly introduced Scurvy affliction.

So if we take everything you need on the long term, beachcombing and a resonable fishing source it's a must; you eventually run out of cloth, leather, arrow resources and other essential stuff. Even if you fish on lakes to prevent scurvy, you can't survive forever without renewable cloth and arrows (Mostly, the second).

Actually i find coastal highway much more punishing and tricky than other 'hard' regions, because cabin fever, long travel distances and the lack of forge/milling machine are a great annoyance. It's anyways the go-to for most players, but i think living on desolation point or bleak inlet let you survive infinitely without ever needing to leave the region:

- Easy beachcomb to get all needed resources and also food.

- Easy hunting and less risky than other regions.

- Forge or milling machine for infinite tools.

- Small regions = It's easy to quick move and avoid any damage, even on bad weather.

- At least if you have the essentials tools and clothing, you can keep them forever.

If we even go further, bleak inlet offers the best fishing spot shared only with the timberwolf mountain hut, a cabin a few steps of your home. This is something desolation point can't offer, and also the six stove on the lighthouse enables the best efficient cooking in the entire game because it's windshielded and outdoors to get the bonus duration. So bleak inlet it's harder but much more rewarding once you get the idea than DP, making it 'arguably' the best region by far in the game for the long term, and desolation point the second best but with a much easier experience surviving here.

What safehouse you use for the very long term?  

After the first yr I stay nomadic establishing a safehouse in each region and transitions with rock caches my most frequent haunts are in no order Mountaineers Hut, Homesteaders Respite, Camp Office(always) Paradise meadows, Stone Church, fishing camp, Mollys Farm in PV(PVFarmhouse) and newly Drift Island cottage and Mindful Cabin

i would say arguably mountaineers remains one of the best even with scurvy there’s fishing and giant birch forest carting cloth from the coast isn’t that much of a hassle and leather can be obtained from moose in a pinch 

Edited by Enigmaecho
  • Upvote 2