TLD Lemmy community

rbos

Hi!

I wanted to point out that there's a Long Dark community on Lemmy, as an alternative to the Reddit forum that already exists, which I moderate (am willing to take on new moderators as it scales up). Over 50 subscribers so far!

As Reddit works toward its public IPO, it has become increasingly enshittified, locking out features from users and trying to lock people in more and more. Lemmy is a federated system based on ActivityPub (meaning that anyone can start a server) that aims to replace it, or at least act as a backup for when Reddit finally goes the way of MySpace, LiveJournal, AOL, and all those that came before.

Cheers!

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, rbos said:

Hi!

I wanted to point out that there's a Long Dark community on Lemmy, as an alternative to the Reddit forum that already exists, which I moderate (am willing to take on new moderators as it scales up). Over 50 subscribers so far!

As Reddit works toward its public IPO, it has become increasingly enshittified, locking out features from users and trying to lock people in more and more. Lemmy is a federated system based on ActivityPub (meaning that anyone can start a server) that aims to replace it, or at least act as a backup for when Reddit finally goes the way of MySpace, LiveJournal, AOL, and all those that came before.

Cheers!

Why use Reddit or Lemmy when we have a robust community here? It seems that pointing folks to Lemmy would simply divide people and dilute the opportunities for hearty discourse. 

• Upvote 3

There's a very active TLD community on reddit, I think? So regardless of why people use it, they definitely do use it.The lemmy server is for people like that who want to jump ship from reddit to the fediverse, or people who already have a fedi account to get a bit more content on their timeline.

I guess people use reddit or lemmy etc because that's their chosen platform for following a bunch of diverse interests in one place. If you were a reddit user and a TLD fan you'd probably join the TLD subreddit. I'm not on lemmy, but I follow the TLD lemmy page with my mastodon account.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Why use Reddit or Lemmy when we have a robust community here? It seems that pointing folks to Lemmy would simply divide people and dilute the opportunities for hearty discourse. 

That's a valid point, and I do pop in here from time to time (created an account yonks ago, I think, but I'm not sure what happened to it). Splitting a community is a major step and should be avoided.

I think, personally, that it's inconvenient to visit a specific forum for discussion like this. It's easier to go to Steam, Reddit, and Lemmy because it's part of a more streamlined workflow. To visit TLD forums, I have to *specifically* go here. A forum aggregator is just simpler.

What would actually be really awesome is if the existing TLD forum federated with Lemmy. There's not much reason a forum like this couldn't publish *as a sublemmy* which would allow people to subscribe to topics, comment, etc, without having to leave their home instances.

For instance, Wordpress has ActivityPub support, it can publish straight to your Mastodon feed. It's pretty great.

Anyway, as Xanna notes, I'm targeting people who would be on Reddit, and saying they should maybe consider moving. If/when Reddit finally seppukus through monetization and chasing investors, I hope Lemmy will pick up the slack.

Did this community ever thrive on a platform like discord? I’ve used that in another game I played for about a decade and the there was a vibrant discord community. Regardless, keeping folks in one place is ideal but I understand the point of the thread. I personally don’t use Reddit and have never heard of Lemmy. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2023 at 4:28 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Did this community ever thrive on a platform like discord? I’ve used that in another game I played for about a decade and the there was a vibrant discord community. Regardless, keeping folks in one place is ideal but I understand the point of the thread. I personally don’t use Reddit and have never heard of Lemmy. 

There is quite an active Discord server. Here is an invite link: https://discord.gg/22FHmNTUCH

I'll add it to the Lemmy sidebar while I'm at it.

• 3 months later...
On 9/8/2023 at 6:52 AM, Chaos Theory said:

(old post I know, but only saw it now)

Different sites moderate differently, that would be a big reason for many. This place is more "clean" or more of a "safe space" where dissenting opinions too often get piled on & moderated away. On the other hand, Steam discussions can quickly become a cesspool. Middle ground is pretty much impossible to achieve, IME. But for those who don't want an echo chamber, alternatives will present themselves. I've found the Reddit TLD sub to be the best, overall.

How's Lemmy, BTW? I dipped my toes in quite a while ago, but ended up using Mastodon instead. I agree about Reddit's trajectory, BTW, but none of the alternatives have become satisfactorily populated as of yet, IMHO.

Edited by Kranium

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 2:15 PM, Kranium said:

How's Lemmy, BTW? I dipped my toes in quite a while ago, but ended up using Mastodon instead. I agree about Reddit's trajectory, BTW, but none of the alternatives have become satisfactorily populated as of yet, IMHO

I'd say it's a mixed bag, as with Reddit. Since it's composed largely of people who've left Reddit, it's a technical crowd with strong opinions about technology. So the Linux communities there are very strong, and there's a strong SF presence.

Lemmy has roots in counterculture, so before the migration, it was mostly people with more fringe viewpoints (like lemmy.ml is explicitly marxist-leninist) and there's a strong tankie contingent still.

I personally am a big fan. I like that there are multiple competing servers in the ActivityPub federation, I like that it interoperates with Mastodon and the rest of the AP ecosystem, and I like that it's a little more chaotic. If you like drama, there's plenty to keep you occupied.

Nothing stopping you from spinning up your own server and hosting communities.

There's sharp edges, though. It's very much kinda beta "wild west".