My "epic" battle against death in an Intruder playthrough

Mitch

Seeing as I could not hope to survive against the wolves in Pleasant Valley long enough for me actually find food and a weapon to defend myself with -- not with all the wolves and the bears around, and without the aforementioned food -- I set about to leave the idyllic looking but homicidal scene. I planned to take the mining tunnel to Coastal Highway, as I had been there before plenty of times.

I headed out, leaving the tiny little village behind, hungry and cold, but happy that I had at least found shelter and clothes there. The mining tunnel was nearby, so I thought I'd make it in no time and with little trouble.

But I went slightly the wrong way and found myself between a bear sniffling my scent and a wolf blocking my way to where I needed to go. I evaded the bear but caught the wolf's attention. I ran. I ran uphill. The wolf followed, growling and relentless. But I persisted and did make it to the top, to the tunnel entrance before the wolf reached me.

In broad daylight, the tunnel had just enough light for me to walk carefully through. The cold receded, but would return, I knew that. The hunger stayed.

Once out of the tunnel I risked a steep descent downwards towards the road and towards the small fishing settlements scattered along it. I ended up at the barrack, but found nothing useful. The other standing buildings were nailed shut. Hunger driving me, I headed for the fishing hut. Still nothing. My vision began to blur. The cold was ravaging but the hunger even more so. Desperate, I ran, stumbling and swaying, to the small island and towards the cabin there, hoping. I must have found something there, as I did not wake up dead in the bed I had collapsed on to. My head was still swimming and my stomach was eating itself, but I was still alive. I decided I'd fight. I'd heard the wolves, seen the bear near the island. They might take me if starvation didn't, but I needed to fight. I don't know why. Some instinct probably.

I walked to the next fishing hut. I think there was nothing there, so I continued towards the town on the other side of the ice. The northern lights seemed even more colorful, dancing in the sky just as the shoreline was dancing in my eyes. I ran. I got to the first building and found a chocolate bar. I left and ran to the gas station. I found coffee and proceeded to make many cups worth of it and drinking all but one of them. Literally living by the power of coffee! By then I was tired as well and had to sleep. It cleared my head enough for me to find scrap metal and dried guts. I could make a fishing tackle! I was nearly halfway back to the fishing hut when I remembered that while I could make the fishing tackle wherever, I did need a workbench to make the hooks and the lines. Turned back biting back curses and went to make them. Attempt number 2, I reached the fishing up just when my vision began to technicolor again. Set up the oven, cracked the ice with my crowbar, and fished. And ate. And fished. I was still in bad shape but I wasn't hungry, tired, cold or thirsty anymore (though had almost 7 litres of water at the time, so I'd be just stupid if I'd been thirsty). With one cooked fish and two uncooked ones, I started to walk back to the gas station, finally breathing more easily, as I would have a couple days now to recover my strength before I'd need to get back out and find food.

Then a wolf attacked and killed me instantly :D

• Upvote 2