Different caliber rifles and pistols, 3rd in a series of possible updates

SuperStriker16

I have a bunch of ideas for things to add to the game and will make many separate posts so you guys can give feedback for each idea.

In real life, there are many different measurements of rifle barrel width, these sizes are called caliber for anyone who didn't know. the hunting rifle in the long dark is a common British made .303 caliber World War 2 era rifle called the Lee Enfield. but thinking that hunters on a northern Canadian island would only have access to old rifles from the 1930's would not be smart, especially since there are bears and moose (and possibly elk or caribou). There are calibers meant for hunting larger game, and it only makes sense to have larger guns for larger game. It would make sense and fit right in to have a .308 or even a .338 in the game for big game hunting, and could even mabye 1  headshot instant kill a bear. and then on the other end of the spectrum have like a .243 or a .270 for more efficent deer hunting and wolf repellent. to balance things, lower caliber rounds would be easier to find and cheaper to make, while large caliber rounds would be expensive to make and much rarer to find. Another good thing would be a .45 magnum, bear pistol with really rare ammo. Also to prevent people from turning every poor deer in sight into a meat flower,  there could be a new feature: meat wasteage, where depending on the caliber of your weapon, you would get less, or more meat, hide, and guts from the things you harvest. ex:

Deer:

.243/.270/.357(revolver)/bow= about 10 kilos of meat, 1 hide,  3 guts

.303= about 9 kilos of meat, 1 hide, 2 guts

.45 (bear gun) /.308/.338= about   6 kilos of meat, 0 hide, 1-0 gut

There would be similar charts for the other animals, but they would have different thresholds for when they lose large amounts of meat, gut, and hide. ex: wolf will get its hide removed if shot with a .303 but a bear would not, even if shot with a 308/338. also if you get a headshot or neck shot, it should reduce the wasteage significantly because you're not actually shooting the body of the animal. 

Long Dark Hunting Rifle (left) v.s. Lee Enfield (right).                                                  .45 Magnum (bear gun)                                .338 Lapua rifle

image.jpeg.0d688eb05a0a9723eebd7207f9a3b37d.jpeg  image.jpeg.777a0968233cece03507c584c12190f0.jpeg     image.jpeg.377cfbd7aa8d10faeb5ed7fad2367468.jpeg Savage 10/110 Precision Flat Dark Earth/Black Bolt Action Rifle - 338 Lapua  Magnum | Sportsman's Warehouse 

.243 rifle (scope optional)                                                        

image.jpeg.9af50edc2e709aed7abc18b55b4c7033.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't think Hinterland want to move in that direction, given the atmosphere around firearms in the US. An interest in calibers is probably more for the "so inclined". This is not an issue here in Scandinavia, but I think it could be elsewhere. The .303 is in addition a classic for the Commonwealth nations, as is the Lee-Enfield in all its guises.

Obviously the round of choice should be the 6.5x55, if you call it the 6.5x55 "Swede"....I'm afraid I will have to ask you to step outside!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jotunheim said:

I don't think Hinterland want to move in that direction, given the atmosphere around firearms in the US. An interest in calibers is probably more for the "so inclined". This is not an issue here in Scandinavia, but I think it could be elsewhere. The .303 is in addition a classic for the Commonwealth nations, as is the Lee-Enfield in all its guises.

Obviously the round of choice should be the 6.5x55, if you call it the 6.5x55 "Swede"....I'm afraid I will have to ask you to step outside!

I thought about 6.5, but they are pretty similar, the reason I thought about .243 and .338 is because their common hunting rounds and are pretty different to .303, If we were going to get new types of ammo, we would want them to vary as much as possible. I hear you though, thanks for the feedback.

Edited by SuperStriker16

Just now, SuperStriker16 said:

I thought about 6.5, but they are pretty similar, the reason I thought about .243 and .338 is because their common hunting rounds and are pretty different to .303, If we were going to get new types of ammo, we would want them to vary as much as possible. I hear you though, thanks for the feedback.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eqgpgBNWs5Y/SKIQIWXLx-I/AAAAAAAAAXg/b9TneCb9S9o/s400/303+British+R+made+into+6.jpg

Aye, it is different from country to country. Here the 6.5x55 is the most common hunting round. It can take down any game here, though it is marginal on our moose. I mostly use it for deer, and capercaillies that sit in tree tops in the winter.

• Upvote 1