Anyone else? Game stops registering keyboard...

Sgt Socks

.... or this is what it seems like.

(Please note my keyboard isn't the issue, it works absolutely fine with everything else)

Over the past week the game seems to randomly stop recognising my keyboard. I can't move or even get escape to work.

It's either that or it take 20-30 seconds to act on a keystroke.

This is an absolute nightmare if you're facing a predator!

It doesn't happen all the time, I can go a full 8 hours with no issues then it happens again. Or it can happen randomly on and off throughout a whole play session.

Sometimes closing the game and reloading works. Sometimes I have to restart my computer. A couple of times I've had to hard shut down the pc because I can't get any of the keys to work.

The mouse in the game continues to work, the game progresses as I'm stuck.

I have thoroughly tested my keyboard across the pc and haven't had any problems elsewhere. And this problem suddenly started happening this week.

Im sorry if this explanation isn't very clear, it's hard to put into words. 

Before I submitted a ticket I thought I'd see if anyone else had been having the same problem.

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Sometimes closing the game and reloading works. Sometimes I have to restart my computer. A couple of times I've had to hard shut down the pc because I can't get any of the keys to work.

This indicates to me that the problem is probably not with TLD, but with likely your Operating System, or maybe some weird hardware glitch on your keyboard's side (unlikely, tho). Since the problem seems to persist between several "sessions" of the Application being loaded it's almost certainly something more fundamental than that.

What I wonder: does this keystroke issue persist for other applications after closing TLD? Possibly in other DirectX Games? (Blindly assuming you're running Windows). Next time try unplugging and re-connecting the keyboard before doing a hard reboot.

8 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

This indicates to me that the problem is probably not with TLD, but with likely your Operating System, or maybe some weird hardware glitch on your keyboard's side (unlikely, tho). Since the problem seems to persist between several "sessions" of the Application being loaded it's almost certainly something more fundamental than that.

What I wonder: does this keystroke issue persist for other applications after closing TLD? Possibly in other DirectX Games? (Blindly assuming you're running Windows). Next time try unplugging and re-connecting the keyboard before doing a hard reboot.

Thanks for replying Jeff.  Any suggestions are welcome!

Lol yes, I am running Windows.  I actually don't play any other games; due to a physical disability I can no longer play the vast majority of ones that interest me.  I tested it on various things like Word, browser, windows explorer and everything was fine.

However, if it happens again, I will open another game that I can sort of play and see if the issue is there too.  I run all my games through Steam.

I will also give your suggestion of unplugging the keyboard and plugging it in again before a hard reboot.  I have had this keyboard a long time and never had any problems with it, but to make sure I've ordered a spare one to try as well.

I will report back Sir! Let's hope its not straight away but we'll see what mood the tech gremlins are in.  I honestly haven't fed them after midnight.

9 hours ago, A Lamp said:

Never happened to me.

Got any mods installed? If so, perhaps one of them is causing this issue.

If not, then i guess it's the game problem. (btw i do have mods although i've never experienced this issue.)

Thanks Lamp.

I've only got the basic mods installed - the ones which make all the others work plus Placing Anywhere, Remove Clutter, Item Piles and Candles.

Would something appear out of the blue like this with a mod that has been working fine?  When no updates have taken place or new mods installed? (Forgive my likely "stupid question".... I know nothing about coding, modding or any of that side of things)

Do you have the fox installed by any chance yet?

People are hitting the "command mode" button sometimes by accident, which locks you in place until you press the right mousebutton to cancel or target an object. Aside from that, we never had any bug reports that would fit here (in terms of mods).

Gamepads/Joysticks can sometimes interfere with games if you don't use them. If you got any, maybe worth a try unplugging them.

Thanks @Digitalzombie. I don't have the fox, but I appreciate the info about the mod should I ever install it.

My set up, apart from the PC itself is very basic. Other than the mouse there isn't anything  to interfere with it. No other controllers, no tablets or other competing gizmos either. Apart from my phone. Which I'd turned off on one occasion when the problems were particularly bad. Didn't work.

My issues seem to have weirdly settled the last few days, but a new keyboard will be arriving tomorrow just in case. Even though I haven't been able to reproduce the issue outside TLD, who knows 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for your help as always DZ. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Thanks for your help as always DZ

Not payed and it's still better than my dayjob most of the time :D

Yesterday night we got another player with roughly the same error description on the modding Discord. No response yet, but I'll keep poking him and see if I can dig anything up.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Digitalzombie said:

Not payed and it's still better than my dayjob most of the time :D

Yesterday night we got another player with roughly the same error description on the modding Discord. No response yet, but I'll keep poking him and see if I can dig anything up.

Ain't that always the way DZ? If only the paid work had been as enjoyable as the my artwork. Hey ho. What'cha gonna do 🤷‍♀️

Oh that's interesting. Yes do give me a shout if anything else turns up. Thanks for bearing me in mind.

5 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

What'cha gonna do 🤷‍♀️

Let's share our favorite street corners to sit at to put a cup in front of us!

You can draw people and I'll mod their face into a random game.

5 hours ago, Digitalzombie said:

I'll keep poking him and see if I can dig anything up.

Well ... that was a nothingburger.
No glitches that could be explained by mods and the problem solved itself after a system restart. So right now all I can give you, is a shrug. Pretty sure its not modding related though.

Edited by Digitalzombie