Some kind of sled? + objectives

Steveboy777

Not sure if this has been suggested before, sorry if so.

How about some kind of craftable sled to up the amount of items you can carry?

Having to balance what you can carry and what you need to carry is a great aspect to the game, of course but I think a sled as a high tier item could still work.

How much you can pull effectively should obviously be limited by fatigue and general health.

It should also be slower than walking and running with the sled should burn through calories fast as well as fatigue.

Not to mention if you're pushing/pulling the sled you're not holding a flare or a gun, so you're open to attack.

I think that would be enough disadvantages to keep it balanced, some people might want to hoard everything, others might not want to be slowed down and vulnerable.

But what I think would be really cool with this is it could open up some objectives for you to accomplish. Sort of like how in Stranded Deep you need to find parts to make a boat, you could use the sled to pull parts you need where they're needed to activate some machinery, which in turn could unblock new maps.

Things like rock crushing machines, making the dam burst to open a new path, maybe even some kind of explosive charge(you would need good reason for this though, maybe a map detailing a new area)

I suppose this sort of thing might be for story mode but it would be cool to see in sandbox too. Surviving is fun on it's own but it's nice to have other goals too :D

Loving the game anyway, 55 hours and I've died only once. Easily the most challenging survival game I've played, keep up the good work 8-)

Wow. How did you manage to only die once in 55 hours?! :shock:

Anyways, I agree! Having to manage what you're carrying is a necessary aspect of a survival game, but I like this sled idea. However, implementing something like this would open the door to head more in the direction of a crafting/survival game like Stranded Deep, 7DTD, Rust, etc. and from the few hours I've put in on The Long Dark I get the idea they're trying to create more of a pure survival.

That said, I think there is a way they could implement this idea to add a lot more depth to the game without disrupting that pure survivor feel. You would either have to be able to build the sled, or they just place a sled(s) throughout the world? There is gasoline already in the game also, so what about a snow mobile too that could be used to pull a small sled? **when it's working ;) :lol:

I get the idea they're trying to create more of a pure survival.

That said, I think there is a way they could implement this idea to add a lot more depth to the game without disrupting that pure survivor feel. You would either have to be able to build the sled, or they just place a sled(s) throughout the world? There is gasoline already in the game also, so what about a snow mobile too that could be used to pull a small sled? **when it's working ;) :lol:

Nevermind the 55 hours turns out leaving the game paused still counts towards game time :lol: probably more like 15 I'd say...

Thought 55 sounded a bit much but that's what Steam said...

Anyway I see what you mean about pure survival and the game is currently much more realistic in that aspect than the others on Steam but a sled is definitely something most people in real life would probably try to make right? I think it could still be difficult enough to have one in the game. A snow mobile would be cool but I think that would make it too easy plus I'm not sure the area the game is set in is supposed to be snowy so there probably wouldn't be one around.

Maybe for story mode I guess, you could have to rush to help someone.

Perhaps you couldn't take it between maps? It would be awkward to get it over that ravine bridge thing.

So it'd make your life easier but then you'd have to sacrifice a lot of stuff to move on.

So long as it wasn't incredibly easy to craft I think it'd be a fine edition to the game.

Maybe they could even add AI to the wolves so that if you have jerky or any meat they'll huddle around it after chasing you away, so you won't be able to get your stuff back easily after a successful escape.

Since we're not likely to get co-op or companion animals it would be cool to have a sled as your "buddy" in the game, scream WILSOOOOONNNN!! as you have to abandon it to the wolves :cry:

@everyone sorry for proposing something already suggested, that's why I added objectives so it's less of a clone topic.

I get that sandbox is just surviving but it would be cool desperately trying to escape an area because all the resources have been used up. Or maybe all the deer are dead and the wolves/bears have only you to hunt...and you have no more bullets.

I think it would enhance the game a lot to have both things, without ruining the atmosphere.

I get that sandbox is just surviving but it would be cool desperately trying to escape an area because all the resources have been used up. Or maybe all the deer are dead and the wolves/bears have only you to hunt...and you have no more bullets.

Currently, the Pleasant Valley has no respawn of killed animals. I'm doing eight hours trips around the map just to find one deer and sometimes wolves, who didn't die by starvation, and live a little bit longer.What I'm saying is, you have this option. Just stay there and enjoy the serenity and harsh weather of Pleasant Valley.

My understanding is geomagnetic storm = electronics all messed up = no snowmobile. Besides that, I don't really see it fitting in the game currently.

The area must expect cold temperatures, as there are ice fishing huts all over the place.

Sled could be interesting and useful. I wonder about how to make it realistic/functional/intuitive to pull in game.. Something like this would work much better in a 3rd person view (but I'm not advocating 3rd person view as I prefer 1st person-- and the developers have mentioned someplace that they have avoided showing the character in game on purpose.)

The area must expect cold temperatures, as there are ice fishing huts all over the place.

Sled could be interesting and useful. I wonder about how to make it realistic/functional/intuitive to pull in game.. Something like this would work much better in a 3rd person view (but I'm not advocating 3rd person view as I prefer 1st person-- and the developers have mentioned someplace that they have avoided showing the character in game on purpose.)

Are they for ice fishing or just floating though I wonder? On the second map(I think) there's that logging place with loads in the water, they couldn't shift them around if the lake was frozen a lot. Plus fishing huts and the piers.

I dunno it's a bit confusing :lol:

I think a sled could work fine to drag, tie a rope around you or something.

Maybe you could have to keep checking it to make sure your stuff hasn't blown away in the wind if you don't have the means to tie it down.

I think pulling would be the most logical but perhaps you could fashion some kind of skis for it to make pushing it viable.

It'd be cool if you could sit on it to go down hills in that case, just to save a bit of stamina, every little helps.

It could also be useful to drag dead animals to safer areas so you can harvest from them better instead of freezing in the wind, perhaps even in some form of objective to lure wolves away from an area.

I think it would be realistic enough with what I've mentioned. Maybe you'd need to put something on your feet to give you extra traction, like tennis rackets(stereotypical I know) which are in some dangerous area.

Obviously a sled needs to be something that takes work to gain, could be more valuable than a gun.

I don't need to be convinced that its a decent idea and useful, :) I'm thinking more of how the in-game mechanic would work. Since you're pulling the sled-- you can't see it. Does it get stuck on rocks and trees? since it trails behind you it could be annoying to get stuck constantly (and this is what happens in RL when you pull a sled through the woods :D)

Can you pull up steep hills? I think it makes sense to be more limited in the amount of slope you can go up when pulling a sled.

Ice fishing huts are small enough that they get pushed or pulled around on the ice using a snowmobile, another machine (depending on snow and ice conditions), or just people power. Often they are built on skis for this very reason. :) They're pulled off the lake in the spring before ice out and I guarantee they don't float well enough to freeze in above the ice.

I don't need to be convinced that its a decent idea and useful, :) I'm thinking more of how the in-game mechanic would work. Since you're pulling the sled-- you can't see it. Does it get stuck on rocks and trees? since it trails behind you it could be annoying to get stuck constantly (and this is what happens in RL when you pull a sled through the woods :D)

Can you pull up steep hills? I think it makes sense to be more limited in the amount of slope you can go up when pulling a sled.

Ice fishing huts are small enough that they get pushed or pulled around on the ice using a snowmobile, another machine (depending on snow and ice conditions), or just people power. Often they are built on skis for this very reason. :) They're pulled off the lake in the spring before ice out and I guarantee they don't float well enough to freeze in above the ice.

I would say yeah, those things would stop it making the game to easy with a sled. Provided they could work the physics in to the game.

I think going up a slope should be possible provided you have skis on it but depending on the weight of it it should be VERY taxing on your stamina.

Would make for some nice dilemma, do you take the long way back to camp and hope you make it in time or the short way and have to use up some supplies, either direction could have wolves in your way too so do you want to have enough energy to fight or flee or risk being too tired to defend yourself.

Imagine how cool it would be if you could find a donkey or something to pull it for you or just carry stuff? Challenge then being keeping it fed, warm and happy.

What was attempted previously by linking the search was the fact that this isn't a new topic.

This has a pretty good conversation going about how the mechanics could work for sleds/travois

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4248&p=24482&hilit=sled#p24482

Well, this thread has some different ideas. It's typically forum faux pas to revive dead topics.

Not a lot in that thread about balancing it out which I think is essential to this game whereas in The Forest like the OP mentioned it's just a casual push across any surface with no difficulties log sled. This is a much deeper survival game than The Forest(I have both) so there definitely needs to be downsides to a sled, besides being hard to make or obtain.

Archived