new throwable weapon suggestion

panda_gamer87

I really want to see a legitimate throwable weapon in the game. The only thing that is considered  a throwable weapon are stones and not only are they not lethal, they are pretty much only effective against rabbits. I have had times when I had to fend off wolves with torches and stones, and they don't really get scared. I've thrown as man as five stones at a wolf and barely managed to chase it off. Thus I think throwing darts should be implemented. They would be more likely to deal a lethal blow or at least cause bleeding. There could be options to scavenge darts or forge improvised darts. And if you take a rabbit out with a dart, you can avoid watching their faces as you break their neck. Not to mention, you could basically reuse the throwing mechanics for stones, but just swap the mesh with a dart. The damage rating would probably be like half of what an arrow does(unless you get a critical hit), but be more effect against smaller targets (i.e. rabbits). Though wolves would have a higher fear response and you could pick up the dart and reuse it if you miss. Like an arrow, if you land a hit, it would either be reusable, but deteriorated or broken.

I also think caltrops should be implemented, not as a weapon per se, but a deterrent. I believe they would be a great tool to make timber wolf encounters more interesting. Most people, probably fend off timber wolves with flares and torches (if you have marine flares great), but you probably don't have the convenience of lighting torches every time or getting your firearm reloaded. And if the weather is bad, then forget it. However, this is where the caltrops come in. You could quickly grab them and scatter them around, causing the wolves to be more hesitant. Then you'd have more time to evaluate your next move. Obviously, if the wolf steps on the caltrop, it gets injured. The injury would be small, probably the equivalent of a sprain. But it would at least cause a slight hindrance to their movements, making them slower. Then, when everything is over, you can pick up the undamaged caltrops and reuse them. This would also be a tool that can be scavenged or forged. However, caltrops would pretty much be ineffective against bears, deers, and mooses, because bears have thick paw pads and deers and mooses have hard hooves. Rabbits are so easy to catch, would anyone bother using caltrops against them (probably to watch them run around scared)? And obviously, if the character accidentally steps on the caltrop, they'd get a small injury. So there is the possibility that it backfires. Both tools would be lightweight and should at least have similar durability to an arrow.

And this suggestion is more for laughs, but I'd like to see a new improvised weapon implemented that is a sock full of rocks. If you land a clean hit on a wolf, it gets stunned. Then you could just run for it and not waste ammo or torches. And even if it doesn't hit the wolf, it still might be scared off. You could also select it during the wolf struggle and it should at least be about as effective as a prybar (because sometimes you don't even have a prybar). Obviously, once used you've got an unusable bloody sock that you wouldn't want to wear anyways. But if it misses, then you could probably reuse the sock, though it'd be deteriorated.