As The Dead Sleep questions

straffin

I'm trying to get through the As The Dead Sleep challenge and have a few questions (so far...there may be more...):

- I've read that the stim in the Broken Railroad maintenance shed may or may not be there. If it is going to be there, exactly where is it?

- I watched a bit of an ATDS speed-run and was somewhat amazed. It looks like the least important of your condition dials is the "stamina" dial. Is this the case? Should I be worrying most about staying warm, hydrated, and well fed and worrying less about being tired and not able to run anywhere?

- Just how important are the stims? The speed-runner went back to the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad for a stim and I was like "Isn't that COMPLETELY out of the way?!". I guess if you're playing tired, you'll need the stim(s) for some rope climbs/descents, but if you're actually sleeping, are they necessary?

- Am I hurting my chances by actually sleeping? Are warmth, liquids, and calories so hard to come by that, by not rushing, I'm making it more difficult?

I think that's it... for now...

1. The stim is under the crate on the lift right when you enter from the foyer- close to the big garage door- you go up a small ramp to get to it. 
2. Your stamina is pretty irrelevant. Just keep warm by drinking teas and you don’t have to constantly sprint to avoid cold. If you do need to rest, sleeping is perfectly fine.  Just make sure you eat sufficiently before sleeping so you don’t lose health. 750 cals for 10 hrs. Food is best sustained by cattails especially in FM- you should get enough there alone to pretty much last the challenge. Remember your constant tea intake also adds calories. 
3. I usually get through without using stims but basically you should not go out of your way to get them. In BR for example I wouldn’t go into that ravine just to get a stim. You should easily get by with just 2 or three. 
   One of the main things is just go. Don’t spend all day looking for supplies. Take what’s available and go. It’s interloper so you are always going to be cold. Take coal when possible for warmth but just heat up enough to get moving and supplement with teas and refill your water and maybe repair some of your better clothes but in general just go with what you have I. Whatever condition it’s in. It’s not worth calories and time to prepare for long term. 
   Once you get better you can then play long term instead of speed- totally different strategy. I am currently on day 385 of ATDS.

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

The stim is under the crate on the lift right when you enter from the foyer- close to the big garage door- you go up a small ramp to get to it.

Okay... if you mean the last of the three crates on the raised platform after the two-stage ramp, all I've seen in there so far is a sewing kit and a whetstone. No stim in three or four runs, so it must be patched out or really rare.

44 minutes ago, straffin said:

Okay... if you mean the last of the three crates on the raised platform after the two-stage ramp, all I've seen in there so far is a sewing kit and a whetstone. No stim in three or four runs, so it must be patched out or really rare.

I probably find the stim only 50% of the time. Again not a major concern because you have various guaranteed spawn such as the lighthouse in DP. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...