Keyboard map settings keeps returning to default settings.

Dongsig

The reset of keybinds has been a problem (again) starting possibly with some glitch contained within the 2 GB download for Escape the Darkwalker (and other things).  A lot of players have experienced the bug and most remedial measures, related to deleting the usercfg.xxxxx files from TheLongDarkNoSync folder, have been temporary at best.  For myself, some kind of fortuitous computer glitch has apparently "fixed" the keybind problem for now.  

You should bug the problem.   Keybinds resetting is very annoying but not as much of a problem as inability to enter or leave  a building or game crashes which would be game-breaking. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

If inclined to experiment. 

The advice from Hinterland was to delete all the usercfg.xxxxx in TheLongDarkNoSync folder but if you haven't maybe try renaming usercfg files to back before the keybind reset problem started.  That might be perhaps as far back as 64569 or further.  Rename the current latest usercfg (usercfg.70699) if you haven't already.  Restart The Long Dark.  The game should create a new usercfg.70699 using the last valid usercfg (I am guessing).  Now check the keybinds.  If they held then congrats, if they didn't I do not know what else to say than 'darn'.  If it worked, it is not a permanent solution. 

The small update to 1.92 caused my keybinds to reset (the new usercfg.70699 was a different file size) so I renamed the file, restarted TLD and let it create a new usercfg file which corresponded to the next more recent one 70139.  I have mentioned that my PC did something to the files so the usercfg files from 64569 onward all have a Modified Date of October 17, 2020 and a uniform file size of 7,306 bytes.  When the updates came that file size and modified date changed but when I had the game recreate the usecfg it got the aforementioned Modified Date and file size.   I do not know what is happening except my keybinds hold, at least until the next update. 

I have been sending my usercfg files to Support, both the ones that cause keybind reset and those that don't.  Hopefully a comparison might help them diagnose the trouble.  Fixing it might take awhile. 

Good luck.  Happy New Years. 

• Upvote 1