Animal trapping, new tools, etc

panda_gamer87

I have several suggestions for new game features: rabbit trapping, bear traps, and maple trees taps.

1. Rabbit trapping - I believe that actual trapping should be implemented (especially since there is a trappers homestead in Mystery Lake). I believe this would be sufficient with the following implementations: an outdoor workbench that spawns in Mystery Lake and Milton since I believe these regions have the best rabbit populations. 2 new craftables: a live rabbit trap and a rabbit hutch. The hutch should have a capacity of 4-6 rabbits. Since the hutch would be quick large, I think it'd be unreasonable to expect the player to craft it indoors and move it outside. Especially since the doorway may not be wide enough. Like craftable clothing, I think these items should be things that can be crafted in increments.

I believe there should be 3 stages to trapping: setting the trap and obtaining rabbits, breeding rabbits in the hutches, and releasing the rabbits to replenish the wildlife population. You can choose how many rabbits to release from the hutch and either continue breeding or harvest the remaining rabbits. Also, there should be a new manual added to learn about trapping and a trapping skill. A rabbit pellet craftable that can be made using cattails, reishi mushrooms, and rosehips. 

2. Bear traps - a tool that can be forged with scrap metal and can be placed, like snares, and used to immobilize bears.  Unlike a snare, you don't need to leave the area and wait 12 hours. The trap itself would have some durability, but a bear would likely be able to free themselves (though not unscathed) after a few hours. Suitable to place near bear caves or other areas were bears appear, wait for a bear to be immobilized and then shoot it. Though there should still be a low possibility that the bear will break free from the trap and maul the character.

3. Maple tree tapping - since there are maple saplings, actual maple trees should be available in game. Tree tapping kits can be crafted and consist of 2 items: a metal spile which can be forged using scrap metal and tubing that can be crafted with gut. To set up the tree tapping kit, the heavy hammer can be used to hammer the spile into the try trunk. The tubing can be attached by hand, and an empty jerry can will act as the collection vessel. There should be some in-game indicator to notify the player when to harvest the syrup. From there, the syrup has to be boiled, which will produce sugar grains that need to be removed (I imagine some sort of animation needs to be added showing the character using a spoon to scoop out the sugar). The sugar acts as a consumable that must be added to tea or coffee (increases the calorie intake by 60). Then once the syrup and ready for consumption, you just collect it from the cooking pot and it turns into a jug of maple syrup in your inventory.

2 hours ago, panda_gamer87 said:

3. Maple tree tapping - since there are maple saplings, actual maple trees should be available in game. Tree tapping kits can be crafted and consist of 2 items: a metal spile which can be forged using scrap metal and tubing that can be crafted with gut. To set up the tree tapping kit, the heavy hammer can be used to hammer the spile into the try trunk. The tubing can be attached by hand, and an empty jerry can will act as the collection vessel. There should be some in-game indicator to notify the player when to harvest the syrup. From there, the syrup has to be boiled, which will produce sugar grains that need to be removed (I imagine some sort of animation needs to be added showing the character using a spoon to scoop out the sugar). The sugar acts as a consumable that must be added to tea or coffee (increases the calorie intake by 60). Then once the syrup and ready for consumption, you just collect it from the cooking pot and it turns into a jug of maple syrup in your inventory.

I'm not a botanist, but it's hard to imagine what kind of syrup can be extracted from a tree in winter at a low temperature. There will be no spring in the game, which means there will be no syrup.

2. Bear traps - a tool that can be forged with scrap metal and can be placed, like snares, and used to immobilize bears.  Unlike a snare, you don't need to leave the area and wait 12 hours. The trap itself would have some durability, but a bear would likely be able to free themselves (though not unscathed) after a few hours. Suitable to place near bear caves or other areas were bears appear, wait for a bear to be immobilized and then shoot it. Though there should still be a low possibility that the bear will break free from the trap and maul the character.

I think it's too easy.

I believe there should be 3 stages to trapping: setting the trap and obtaining rabbits, breeding rabbits in the hutches, and releasing the rabbits to replenish the wildlife population. You can choose how many rabbits to release from the hutch and either continue breeding or harvest the remaining rabbits. Also, there should be a new manual added to learn about trapping and a trapping skill. A rabbit pellet craftable that can be made using cattails, reishi mushrooms, and rosehips. 

The main idea that I took out of this. This is that the rabbit population should be finite. In this case, it is necessary to make sure that all animal populations are like this. I don't think it's a good idea to breed wolves, bears, deer, and moose. So that they do not decrease in their number.  

The game in my opinion is not about this.

I'm not suggestion that they implement breeding for the larger predatory animals, only rabbits. My intent in making this suggestion is to: firstly, add an intricate system to the game to make it more detailed oriented and secondly, allow this system to serve as a temporary stop-gap measure for resource depletion. However, I don't expect rabbit trapping an breeding to be given high parameters, so as not to eliminate the eventuality that resources will deplete and starvation is imminent. 

I understand your point about the maple tree tapping so I have nothing else to add.

And the bear trap idea probably does seem to easy. I'm sure there are many players who only use settings for pilgrim or voyager. However, I made this suggestion to provide more strategic and tactical elements to the game for players using high settings like interloper or high difficulty custom settings.

6 hours ago, panda_gamer87 said:

I'm not suggestion that they implement breeding for the larger predatory animals, only rabbits. My intent in making this suggestion is to: firstly, add an intricate system to the game to make it more detailed oriented and secondly, allow this system to serve as a temporary stop-gap measure for resource depletion. However, I don't expect rabbit trapping an breeding to be given high parameters, so as not to eliminate the eventuality that resources will deplete and starvation is imminent. 

I understand you. I just want to add it again. That if rabbits can reproduce ,then animals should do the same. I would like to add that the game does not change the season of the year, and therefore it makes no sense to add an update to the animal population.

6 hours ago, panda_gamer87 said:

And the bear trap idea probably does seem to easy. I'm sure there are many players who only use settings for pilgrim or voyager. However, I made this suggestion to provide more strategic and tactical elements to the game for players using high settings like interloper or high difficulty custom settings.

Then the bears will quickly run out. I've seen what a bear trap looks like. And I can't imagine how to do such a thing without serious skills. The game is not about reality, but it does not go beyond the adequacy. I think the whole point of the game is to contrast yourself with predatory fauna and harsh climate. And such things destroy the entire balance of power.

If you add a bear trap: 

1. it should require a lot of resources,

2. it should be broken after the first bear.

3 bear can get away with 90% probability,

4. The bear can break the trap with a probability of 90%.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 11:36 PM, k0s0ff said:

I understand you. I just want to add it again. That if rabbits can reproduce ,then animals should do the same. I would like to add that the game does not change the season of the year, and therefore it makes no sense to add an update to the animal population.

Then the bears will quickly run out. I've seen what a bear trap looks like. And I can't imagine how to do such a thing without serious skills. The game is not about reality, but it does not go beyond the adequacy. I think the whole point of the game is to contrast yourself with predatory fauna and harsh climate. And such things destroy the entire balance of power.

If you add a bear trap: 

1. it should require a lot of resources,

2. it should be broken after the first bear.

3 bear can get away with 90% probability,

4. The bear can break the trap with a probability of 90%.

Yes indeed it would. That would require players to spend more time thinking about resource management. If a player gets carried away and over hunts the wildlife population, then they put themselves at greater risk for starvation. I agreed with the suggestions you implemented. 

Also, in regards to the animal trapping, if you suggest that other animals be allowed to reproduce through trapping and breeding, what type of enclosures do you imagine the game should implement for housing larger animals like the deers and wolves?