Snow shelters are good for hunting

MrWolf

I watched Atheenon on Twitch the other day using a snow shelter for shooting Timberwolves.  They would chase him until he got into the snow shelter, then they just walked around nearby for easy pickins.  I gave it a try in my Interloper run at Desolation Point and they are great for hunting if you have time to construct one or already have one in a good place.

My only snow shelter predator encounter in the past was a long time ago, don't remember which version but it was before HRV was added.  I was in a snow shelter behind Camp Office in Mystery Lake and had a lot of meat in my inventory.  A wolf from the lake came up to the shelter and I was yanked up above it to struggle with the wolf, then was stuck there and couldn't move.  I've been reluctant to try a snow shelter like that again, but they're much better now.

I'm waiting for the moose to show up on the bridge at Mystery Lake, I figure within another 5-10 days.  In the meantime, I built a snow shelter with a nice view overlooking the bridge.  I'll follow up here after the moose shows up and I see how it reacts to the snow shelter.

snowshelter_bridge.png.d5814186f113da051153c2a79e381d01.png

I tested this snow shelter with the lighthouse wolves.  I walked that way with some rabbit carcasses in my inventory and a wolf followed me back.  I got to the snow shelter , aimed at the wolf to make it charge, then went into the shelter.  The wolf ran right past me, then slowly walked back past the opening.  I also discovered that you can shoot a bow from within the shelter regardless of your archery skill level (I'm currently at 3).

I already shot the resident bear and his hide is cured.  I'm waiting for him to return so I can work on that bearskin coat.  I built another snow shelter across the road from his cave.  He's back now so I circled around him to enter the snow shelter as he walked down toward the ice, this time with a few pieces of deer meat in my inventory.  I wasn't hidden from the bear in the snow shelter - he came back, walked toward me, then reared up to charge.

snowshelter_bear.png.d8dcd74463c196aa7924789753b0f2a6.png

It was a butt-clenching moment as the bear ran straight toward me.  It reached the opening, then turned and ran off somewhere to the left.  I waited a little while until he returned again, then put an arrow in him and he ran off again.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1

I take it back.  A wolf just pulled me out of a snow shelter for a dance with my hatchet.  I was walking back to the cave from Hibernia and the wolf followed my meaty scent.  As the wolf got closer, I entered the snow shelter and waited.  The wolf kept growling and approaching, then attacked.  When it reached the front of the snow shelter, I was suddenly upright and struggling with it.  I'm pretty sure I didn't click to exit the shelter because I was drawing my bow back just before the struggle.  I'll still give it a try with the moose if he shows up and we'll see how that goes.

shelter_struggle.png.68fb8df1a6d1fd046d576a7a51fcf894.png

Edited by MrWolf