Repairing deerskin boots

elloco999

I was just wondering how come I can make deerskin boots without any tools, but when I want to repair them, I suddenly need a sewing kit.

Making a pair of deerskin boots requires 10 leather, 4 guts and time. That's it. I'm assuming the guts are used for stitching the leather together.

Repairing the boots requires 1 leather, 1 gut, sewing kit and time. What do I need the sewing kit for? I'm using gut again as thread and I didn't need needles to craft the boots...

This just struck me as odd. I think that, like the crafting, the sewing kit should be optional and only reduce the time required for the repair.

Realism should never go beyond the game's balancing.

Crafting is done to make new things and enhance your survivability. It is limited by forcing you to travel to specific places and carry specific items.

Repair is done to make your things last longer and allow you to survive longer. It is limited by the amount of times you can do it.

Even if we're talking about the same item, if repair of it didn't require a sewing kit, you could repair it infinitely, which would break the balance.

Come to think of it, even though repairing deerskin boots requires the sewing kit, I can still walk on deerskin boots forever after my sewing kits are gone. As crafting a new pair doesn't require anything other than leather and gut and you can get those for free.

Archived