Lantern lighting exploit

CoureurDeBois

I wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the bug report section, but in the end I decided against it because I don't think this is really a bug. I thought it was more an exploitation. If I should have put it in bug reports, my sincerest apologies.

So anyway, the storm lantern, when you're lighting it, flashes twice from sparks before its catches. This produces light, much like the lantern, but only lasts a split second. If you stop the lighting process before it's finished, you can get repeated, brief flashes of light without ever actually lighting the lantern.

I was running low on oil on my last playthrough, and I decided to see whether or not I could just use the light from that flashing to find my way around. It worked. I never had to fully light my lantern. It essentially meant that I had a free light source, which I doubt was the intention. Maybe it can be tweaked so that the flashing only has a visual effect on the item itself, and doesn't illuminate the surrouding area?

I tried this myself once and after about 10 times I noticed a 1% decline in the amount of kerosene I had left. Are you sure you can do this unlimited without using fuel? I wonder if you could do this with an empty lantern...

I think the lighting effect should stay as it is, but using this method should slowly deplete the fuel. That way, you can use this to stretch your fuel supply but not use it unlimited. It is however very annoying to have to search a dark room like this, so that's the trade off you make. Annoyance vs higher fuel consumption.

Personally, I try to make sure I'm next to my bed before dark, so I can sleep during the dark hours and do my stuff during the light hours. So I hardly ever use my lantern...

Well, I managed to keep mine at 14% fuel for 20 days and 19 hours, so if it isn't infinite it's certainly more long-lived than it probably should be.

Also, I don't think you can do it without fuel. In that case I think you'd just get a message saying that no fuel is left, though I'd need to double-check to be sure.

Archived