ChapnCrunch, a glutton for punishment in New Jersey

ChapnCrunch

I grew up playing Dungeons & Dragons, with my best friend running the most grueling and deadly game. Our characters rarely made it to 3rd level, and never once in all the decades did I make it to 6th. This really made me love scrounging, taking risks (because we'll probably die somehow soon enough anyway), and valuing the meager achievements of low-level characters. 

Now that I don't live near my old gaming group anymore, and we have different lives and schedules, The Long Dark is the video game version of that experience that I've been chasing all this time. Whereas Minecraft is unforgiving, it comes with more child-friendly security (you won't starve or freeze if you sit still in a dirt house or on a boat, for example), The Long Dark is that punishing (but possible!) game for people like me who don't want to be mollycoddled. 

Welcome ChapnCrunch, and I dig your profile pic. It's funny, I'm quite cowardly in games and something of a save-scummer in other adventures, but in The Long Dark I find myself really loving the precarious existence and love the fact that death is always waiting around the corner through one bad decision. Those moments when you can laugh in death's face and somehow escape it's clutches make it all the sweeter. 

Have fun out there!

Archived