2 main gripes with Faithful Cartographer update

darkSol

I got the game just prior to the recent update, have 48 hours in currently and I LOVE it.  The update made mostly good changes in my opinion, not all for the best, but liking it for the most part.  However I have 2 main issues that I felt I had to point out.

TLDR: lantern on/off animation upward camera panning is horribly annoying when combined with no HUD.  Early morning indoor lighting stays dark longer than it should IMO.

The worst issue for me is the new animation sequence for the lantern, in particular turning it off.  The problem for me is that I play with no HUD for maximum immersion.  That means I don't get the tiny reticle in the center which means I don't always click the exact spot I need, especially for narrow drawers and tiny items.  That's okay usually, I click around and I get what I need except that holding the lit lantern now does this awful camera movement upwards toward the lantern which you're holding rather high in your hand.  If you are looking downward to click on something, the camera automatically pans up, attempting to turn off the lantern, even with a very brief click.  This is utterly maddening, as I have to move the mouse back to my intended target, click again, get it wrong again, suffer this repeatedly, often needing to crouch down just so I can get a more straight on look at what I'm trying to click on.  Needs to change (or have the tiny reticle in HUDless mode, though I would prefer something else).

The other issue I keep getting annoyed by is the way indoor areas remain way too dark when the time of day indicates the sun is rising.  I usually have to wait at least an hour longer than I would like before I can start to get ready for the day, when I know it's starting to get light outside.  This could be just an issue with the way the time of day indicator is representing the time, but I feel like it's more an indoor lighting issue.  I even find that the game considers it light enough at this transition for me to do certain activities that require daylight, but yet I'm looking at a pitch black screen.  I don't want to waste lantern oil because the game is not lighting the way it should.  I never seemed to have this problem prior to the update, and I know that indoor lighting is one of the big changes, so I thought I should point that out.

Just a bit of an update to my post, I did find there is a way to avoid the lantern frustration issue by setting the lantern down while you search/loot the immediate area.  It's still problematic if you're looting a big area like the carter dam or you're on the move outside trying to pick up sticks.

Archived