Don't like: Can't break crates in the dark

Ruruwawa

This change came in with v388, apparently.  There are three reasons I don't like this change.  

First, breaking up a crate isn't something that requires tools or precision.  I suspect most of us here could break down a crate in the dark, particularly if we really needed a fire for survival.  Having lived off-grid at times, I can think of much harder things I've done in the pitch black.

Second issue: the requirement is circular.

1. To break a crate you need a long duration (1 - 3 hours) light source, typically a fire
  2. To get wood to build a fire you need to break a crate

It's not too hard to imagine dying to this catch-22... say you are lost at night in a blizzard, and finally stumble into a below-freezing shelter with a hearth and some crates.  You have matches but you can't build a fire to get warm because you have no way to supply light long enough to break a crate. 

Third, it dumbs down the game.  This change takes away a time management tactic we might choose (breaking down crates, curtains, old clothing in the dark) vs passing time.

Suggestions

• If the motivation for this change is "it should be harder in the dark", then consider making it possible to break down stuff only without tools in the dark.  No knife, hatchet or hammer use without light.
  • If the motivation for this change is more meaningful tradeoffs in how we spend our time/calories, then consider making it take more time to break down stuff in the dark than with light.

TIL I can't break a stick off a bush at night if it's overcast.  Unless I have a supplementary light source.  Holy moly!  

I'm not a stickler for realism in games, but this feels like one of those frustrating "invisible barriers" you encounter in games sometimes  For something that's so easy most children could do it in real life.

More dumbing down of the game, IMO.  Instead of giving us a subtle tradeoff (like the task taking longer when it's dark), we get:  "You can do it but you'll need to burn an amount of fuel equivalent to what you collect to provide light.  While risking the usual outdoor weather and animal attacks."  

Who would take that deal?  How does this make TLD a better game?

I think this is actually a good mechanic. Your inability to do certain things in darkness makes the day-night cycle feel more real.

However I agree this mechanic is too restrictive, it needs some work.

IMO breaking down an item in darkness should come with a risk of injuries (lacerations). Or you can break them down without a tool (like you suggested) but it takes longer.

I'd much rather see a tradeoff here than a complete ban.

@bikingviking  I understand your point.  But but breaking a small stick off a bush?  In real life is literally trivial, something children do so easily that you have to nag them not to ruin the bushes in the yard. 

I'm fine with the mechanic for indoor tasks that require precision, or tools.  Outdoors... well.  We already have freezing temps and animal attacks, do we need more tradeoffs? :P

Time -that's the thing you really need when doing stuff in the dark.  Everything takes more time.

3 hours ago, bikingviking said:

I'd much rather see a tradeoff here than a complete ban.

Amen!

49 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

@bikingviking  I understand your point.  But but breaking a small stick off a bush?  In real life is literally trivial, something children do so easily that you have to nag them not to ruin the bushes in the yard. 

I'm fine with the mechanic for indoor tasks that require precision, or tools.  Outdoors... well.  We already have freezing temps and animal attacks, do we need more tradeoffs? :P

Time -that's the thing you really need when doing stuff in the dark.  Everything takes more time.

Totally agreed. I didn't even know about the restriction on breaking sticks off bushes at night. That's way too aggressive.

I have total confidence the Hinterland devs will refine this mechanic and get it right. They've done so with pretty much every other aspect of the game so far.

Archived