The post-apocalyptic cookbook

Let's do this, fellow gourmets and gourmands!

In this thread, we share and discuss recipes that should remain viable under TLD conditions and also taste nice, because we all have a wellbeing-bar in our lives ^_^ I'll start with some:

Tamago kake gohan

Ingredients:

• 1 cup rice (ubiquitous and lasts almost indefinitely)
  • 1 egg (Personally, I live in an area full of chicken farms so I'd probably find some)
  • Soy sauce (Should be fairly frequent in the first year after the apocalypse)
  • Salt

Preparation:

• Cook rice with salt and put said rice in a bowl
  • Crack egg over rice, add soy sauce
  • Done

It's a popular breakfast dish in Japan and I, personally, sometimes eat it for dinner when I'm low on money. It's tasty, cheap and the ingredients last for a long time.

Meatbread

Ingredients:

• 1 loaf of bread (only available ~1 week after apocalypse in packaged form, freshly beaked loafs may become available later)
  • Meat of any kind
  • Optional: Cheese, onions, spices, other stuff

Preparation:

• Cut off one end of the loaf of bread and empty most of the interior. You can eat the leftover bread or use it as bait for snares
  • Stuff meat and other optional stuff in it
  • Bake until the meat is well done to minimize parasite and food poisoning risk
  • Done

I make this very often in a more sophisticated manner for my RPG groups as a snack - it's tasty and way cheaper than ordering pizza once a week. Can also be made over a campfire, although using raw dough instead of bread makes more sense there.

Survival Hotpot

Ingredients:

• As many nettles as you can find
  • Water
  • Salt

Optional:

• Meat, veggies, what you can find.

Preparation:

• Toss it all into a pot and boil it 'til the nettles don't sting anymore and any optional ingredients are done
  • Seriously, you can't do anything wrong with nettles except eat them raw
  • Done

I actually made this a few times in my life when I was totally broke, and it's surprisingly tasty. Guess they don't call nettles the poor man's spinach for nothing. Works surprisingly well with canned tuna and onions! Watch your nettles though - don't take the ones directly adjacent to roads or paths, there's car exhausts and dog urine on them.

The Strong Dark

Ingredients:

• 1 tall glass, like the ones used in Long Island Ice Tea
  • Coffee
  • Vodka (or whatever booze you have at hand)
  • Maple Syrup

Optional:

• Dirty Harry
  • A cut-up rifle round to decorate the glass with

Preparation:

• Boil coffee, mix everything together. Make sure the maple syrup properly dissolves
  • Get wasted

You don't want to know how much I enjoyed this when I finally got my hands on a bottle of maple syrup (which was HIDEOUSLY expensive). Good thing I don't have a drivers license I guess.

So, what are your recipes? Foods, drinks, desserts all welcome! :jerky:

Archived