Thoughts on firewood and a new collection method

DaveyJay1984

I will start by saying I love this game. Have made a couple of replies to other topics with some thoughts but wanted to make my own with an idea I just had while playing.

It's fairly basic, I think, maybe not so much for implementation. I was thinking that maybe for firewood, there could be random world generation in wooded areas. Just a small amount that has fallen to ground and could be found while travelling. Then to further this, I was thinking a random generation feature that causes further firewood to spawn during heavy storms. I would see this as an extension to current foraging mechanics that allows for collection without always having to spend an hour to get anything,

Anyway, that's my though for now.

I would like to walk up to a tree and use my axe to chop wood from it.

So no black screen, but a real animation. It would take time to chop wood from a tree and after a while of chopping at it there would be some wood next to the tree, which I can pickup. It would add to the realism imo.

Firewood gathering in the game is a bit of a bugbear for me, since I do rather a lot of gathering firewood in the Canadian bush IRL. My preferred tool is a little Sierra saw (much lighter and more compact and energy efficient than an axe). It lets me take down branches and small standing dead trees quite easily. Saws would be a useful tool to have in game.

From a firewood perspective, you want to look up to find it, not down. Wood on the ground is wetter than squaw wood (the dead branches sticking out of pine trees within reach of the ground. Standing dead timber or fallen trees that aren't lying fully on the ground are good sources of larger wood. In coniferous forests finding tinder really isn't hard at all (another issue with the game).

The time required for gathering firewood in game actually feels pretty realistic; the rule of thumb IRL is to always gather five or six times as much wood as you think you'll need; a big pile of branches actually translates into a surprisingly small woodpile once broken down. However, being able to forage for firewood for hours in a pine forest and not find tinder is not realistic. Once you have a knife, you can always whittle some tinder in the form of fuzz sticks.

The thing that does really bug me is axes wearing out. An axe has two parts; a honking big steel head and a haft. The steel head part does get dull with use but can be re sharpened easily; the head does not wear out unless you spend several hours hacking at a rock. And you can't simply press bits of scrap metal onto an axe head to fix it...

It would be interesting to find random harvestable wood lying around after a storm, but I would be more interested in breaking chairs/tables/beds in order to scavenge materials. Completely clean out a cabin to feed the life-saving stove in the corner.

I like the random wood sometimes found outside after a storm. It would give you a good reason to go out and explore for sure.

Perhaps wood foraged or found outside would need to be allowed to dry indoors for a set amount of time before it would be useable as fuel for the fire.

As for foraging in a cabin, you can already do that. If you forage indoors you can get reclaimed wood only. It isn't represented by missing chairs and tables, but that is what is happening. There is a point where you won't find any more reclaimed wood inside the cabin also...so you've essentially cleaned it out.

It would be interesting to find random harvestable wood lying around after a storm, but I would be more interested in breaking chairs/tables/beds in order to scavenge materials. Completely clean out a cabin to feed the life-saving stove in the corner.

I like the random wood sometimes found outside after a storm. It would give you a good reason to go out and explore for sure.

Perhaps wood foraged or found outside would need to be allowed to dry indoors for a set amount of time before it would be useable as fuel for the fire.

As for foraging in a cabin, you can already do that. If you forage indoors you can get reclaimed wood only. It isn't represented by missing chairs and tables, but that is what is happening. There is a point where you won't find any more reclaimed wood inside the cabin also...so you've essentially cleaned it out.

Good to know. I will have to try that next time.

Archived