Skill information and ideas for new skills.

Dirmagnos

Id like to put together what level of each skill do(including bonuses) and their requirements(if possible, how many skill points it take to levelup).

Not at home at the moment, add tomorrow. Feel free to post skill progress, since my best skill level is 2. 8)

Ideas(still thinking and all the steam coming out of my ears is not helping in this hellish weather).

Tracking.

Tracking allows player to track animals by using their... tracks. Basic idea is that after player stands for 8 seconds on animal track it slightly highlights it(slightly above ground) and track remains highlighted for as long as player stays precisely on it(moving or standing). Allows for easier tracking of animals in bad conditions, and easier in general. Distance that tracks are highlighted is up to 5 meters from player.

With each level wait time(be4 skill activates) decreases by 1 second, down to 3 seconds at lvl5; +5m max track distance/lvl; player may slightly go off track, with range increasing with each level, without losing tracking effect; tracking effect becomes more vivid with each level.

Level specific bonuses:

lvl1 - wounded animals(bleeding) have tracking distance on their tracks increased by 25%

lvl2 - ghost - player can see a "ghost" of animal that hes tracking moving above those tracks

lvl3 - allows seeing animals thru solid objects like walls(its a total ripoff of far cry hunter syringe, but i like the idea); player must be stationary for 10 seconds(8 on lvl4 and 6 on lvl5)for ability to take effect; distance up to 10 meters(20 on lvl4 and 30m on lvl5); upon starting moving affect dissipates after 2 seconds(4 on lvl4 and 6 on lvl5)

lvl4 - allows staying on track even if track is visually gone(like in storm), but only as long as player stays on this ghost track(once he loses it, he cant reacquire it)

lvl5 - dunno yet, had great idea for it, but forgot in the process 8)

Scavenging.

Scavenging decreases times it takes to search containers and gives a chance for extra loot(even if no items has been found in the container upon basic examination player may still find "extra" items).

Chance of finding additional low quality item is 3% per level, up to 15%.

Search time decreases by 5% per level, up to 25%.

lvl1 - increases found items durability by flat 10%

lvl2 - player has 3%(5% on lvl4) chance of finding additional minor item upon searching container for the first time

lvl3 - player may find low or average quality item

lvl4 - player has 2%(4% on lvl5) chance of finding new low or medium quality item in already searched container, cannot occur more than once(twice on lvl5) each game day.

lvl5 - player may find low, average or high quality item

Herbalism

*imitates motorcycle starting* Schrom...schrom..schrom..schroooom...muschrooooom.......

lvl1 - 10%(15% on lvl3 and 20% on lvl5) chance of receiving small general temorary stat boost when using natural medicines

lvl2 - 10%(20% on lvl4) chance of receiving double amount of materials when harvesting old mans beard lichen, rose hip or reishi mushrooms

lvl3 - 10% chance of finding one of the above(lichen, hip, shrooms) when butchering a corpse 

lvl4 - halves chances of food poisoning both from food or unpurified water

lvl5 - 5% chance of one of harvested natural resource sources(lichen, hip, schrooms) on any map respawns once per game day

Medicine

lvl1 - 

lvl2 - 25%(50% on lvl4) chance that only half of required dose will be used for medicinal purposes

lvl3 - 25% chance of creating additional dosage when making medicines

lvl4 - decreases chances of any active negative condition occuring by 25% of base chance (eg infection chance from wolf bite instead of 50% to be reduced to 37.5%)

lvl5 - player has 15% chance to "walk off" any negative condition, unless its current(like having hypothermia and being cold at same time)

Surprised that this has not had more attention ! Some great ideas here.

I like the idea of scavenging, would be great to see if it could be enabled to find new things in areas where you had previously looked. For example with a higher scavenging level you may be able to find another can of drink or beef jerky in an already searched box or locker.  It would also tie in well with a suggestion I made in my other thread where I was thinking that we have random events that would introduce new bodies to the map or made other NPC characters the illusion of visiting a cabin or cave etc. This introduces new loot spawns, the chance of old loot being taken. This would obviously enable you to get the most out of your increased scavenging as you would aim to gain more with higher levels which in all honesty you would have looted the whole game world in order to get to such a high level.

Tracking

Sounds great ! i almost thought tracking blood on this game was a skill as sometimes I would feel the trail had run out before turning around and going back to where I last saw it only to see the trail that wasnt there previously lead off in a new direction. What I know is a possible glitch now, but I really thought it was because my guy was a bad tracker. If you had to keep going back to double check blood trails but as time went on they became easier to see, or the ability to actually look down at the track or get some info stats on them. For example, with no skill you can just look at the track with no other info, with skill increase when you look at it, you guy could say looks like its X hours old and heading west/north.

Maybe the ability to create a hide or bluff, or trap would be a welcome addition, as for me I see hunting as the mid term game, there should be a long term game where you need food to survive but you are working on fixing up a boat, or car, radio, plane or whatever. so maxing out your skills makes surviving easier/quicker so you can spend more time on the long term game play.

Really happy to help flesh some more ideas through.

4 hours ago, mickeyblue said:

It would also tie in well with a suggestion I made in my other thread where I was thinking that we have random events that would introduce new bodies to the map or made other NPC characters the illusion of visiting a cabin or cave etc. This introduces new loot spawns, the chance of old loot being taken.

Interesting, never thought about it this way.

At some point i suggested instead of 2 statuses for corpses to have 3. Basic ones, "spawned" and "not spawned" and "hidden". As result corpses could disappear(covered by snow), or be uncovered(by strong winds), after big blizzards. Their looted or not status would not change. Just as result, player may find new ones or old ones "despawn" in already traversed areas.

Archived