Love the game! Some suggestions

L33ch5

Hi everyone, I've been playing this game for about a week and absolutely love it. I do have some somewhat minor ideas for changes, so here they are:

1. Burnt out campfires. Please make them go away after a while or maybe add a way to remove them.

2. Arrowheads. These are really rare and important in hunting for food (which is fun) but get lost sometimes when they stick in an animal that runs away and disappears. I've also had animals die, but then have no arrow in them. I understand hunting has some uncertainty but when you only have a small number of arrowheads it's frustrating to lose them unexplainedly.

3. Bow/Arrows. To continue from the point above, maybe arrowheads could be easier to craft, IE from scrap metal, using simple tools and any oven. I see the rifle as a more reliable tool (less skill required, can be used while sneaking) - but one that's limited due to ammo. The bow I see as a less reliable tool, but one that's renewable. In line with that notion, maybe saplings could have a slow respawn rate? After all, wood does.

4. Frozen corpses in houses. Please add a way to remove these, for obvious reasons.

5. Hacksaw. A vital tool for harvesting scrap metal, which is vital for making fishing tackle, but apparently missing from Mystery Lake. Could one be added, maybe a guaranteed spawn in the logging camp?

6. Intestinal parasites. This is a great feature, but was removed from Voyageur mode yesterday. I don't think it's 'hardcore' enough to warrant a removal from the mid difficulty, and may even be fine in Pilgrim. Really, it just seems weird to intentionally hunt dangerous predators as a reliable source of food.

7. Cooking speed should vary by weight. I find myself leaving behind parts of a rabbit's meat (IE if it weighs 1.1, I will leave behind the 0.1) because it's too small to bother with.

8.  Tools that repair things decay too fast. A whetstone can repair about one knife. Same goes for sewing kits, causing me to disregard fishing and save the fishing tackle for clothes repairs.

9. Tools themselves decay too fast given the difficulty of repairs or replacements. For example, it's not 'fun' to constantly harvest meat by hand to save your hunting knife because you need it for crafting.

That's all I can think of for now. All in all awesome game, and one of the best I've ever played. Keep up the good work! :)

1. Burnt out campfires. Please make them go away after a while or maybe add a way to remove them.

If i recall correctly, the persisting campfires are a bug right now. But yeah, I'm with you on that.

2. Arrowheads. These are really rare and important in hunting for food (which is fun) but get lost sometimes when they stick in an animal that runs away and disappears. I've also had animals die, but then have no arrow in them. I understand hunting has some uncertainty but when you only have a small number of arrowheads it's frustrating to lose them unexplainedly.

Well, the only way an arrowhead could get lost after hitting its target would be somehow getting stuck in bone, but yeah, you're right.

3. Bow/Arrows. To continue from the point above, maybe arrowheads could be easier to craft, IE from scrap metal, using simple tools and any oven. I see the rifle as a more reliable tool (less skill required, can be used while sneaking) - but one that's limited due to ammo. The bow I see as a less reliable tool, but one that's renewable. In line with that notion, maybe saplings could have a slow respawn rate? After all, wood does.

Arrowheads are forged at the, well, forge which is found on a the Riken in Desolation Point, and require a heavy hammer to craft. Getting the forge up to temperature is also quite a task. Maybe we can get a slightly less damagin version made from bone or rock?

4. Frozen corpses in houses. Please add a way to remove these, for obvious reasons.

Yes, please!

5. Hacksaw. A vital tool for harvesting scrap metal, which is vital for making fishing tackle, but apparently missing from Mystery Lake. Could one be added, maybe a guaranteed spawn in the logging camp?

Haven't seen one in ML yet. However, there's enough scrap metal to go around until you find one.

6. Intestinal parasites. This is a great feature, but was removed from Voyageur mode yesterday. I don't think it's 'hardcore' enough to warrant a removal from the mid difficulty, and may even be fine in Pilgrim. Really, it just seems weird to intentionally hunt dangerous predators as a reliable source of food.

This is the result of the latest hotfix, and a lot of people are complaining about it, while a lot of others are satisfied with the way it is now. I suppose it will be tweaked again in the future, but I'm no Hinterland employee. Guess it'll take some time gauging the overall community reaction.

7. Cooking speed should vary by weight. I find myself leaving behind parts of a rabbit's meat (IE if it weighs 1.1, I will leave behind the 0.1) because it's too small to bother with.

Yeah, that makes sense. Would also make small fish a bit more valuable.

8.  Tools that repair things decay too fast. A whetstone can repair about one knife. Same goes for sewing kits, causing me to disregard fishing and save the fishing tackle for clothes repairs.

As of now, this seems to be deliberate as a balancing mechanic. Hinterland aims to add seasons, which will undoubtly give us a vastly increased, if not possibly infinite, playtime, and will probably adjust tool decay accordingly.

9. Tools themselves decay too fast given the difficulty of repairs or replacements. For example, it's not 'fun' to constantly harvest meat by hand to save your hunting knife because you need it for crafting.

Yeah, I agree with you, but see above. You can also craft primitive knives in Desolation Point at the forge.

Oh, and before I forget... welcome to the forums, L33ch5!

Archived