Animal Detection

Aelaera

So I have to start off by saying I'm not 100% sure WHEN this was implemented, since I hadn't played the Long Dark for about six months since my old computer couldn't handle running it anymore. But I want to bring up, and applaud Hinterlands for their handling of how animals detect you. My most recent run has been on Pilgrim, primarily to observe new animal behaviors as well as enjoy the changes before I dive into a serious run. As I'm frolicking through the snow towards Derailment from the Frozen Creek, I crest a small hill, come across a few deer in a small clearing and then walk down another hill. I climb over a small snowdrift to my left and lo and behold, there is a wolf about fifteen paces ahead of me, enjoying an afternoon walk. I followed him for a solid few minutes, crouched and closer than I have ever cared to be to a wild dog and never once did he realize I was there. At first I didn't understand why he hadn't taken off running, and then I realized, there was an extremely strong wind blowing towards the two of us. With the wind against his nose, and therefore my scent, he had no reason or idea to think that he was being followed by a strange human being who apparently likes to follow wild animals around. I did eventually get bored of our game and walked away, but the moment I was in his field of vision, he took off running, despite the fact I was twice the distance away that I had been a few minutes ago. So well done Hinterlands! I love that wind direction has been taken into account when it comes to something as important as hunting. 

Archived