Cornered by the Cat (Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Cougar).

Morning all, I just thought I'd mention this strange interaction I've had with the cougar encroachment mechanics over the weekend, as it doesn't match the description I've seen for the mechanic on either the announcement post or elsewhere.  I'm playing on XBox, this was an existing game (500+ days) in Pilgrim mode (don't judge me 😆).

I know the cougar is being temporarily removed, but I'm not sure where we're at with this process on console.  I'd seen the Tales Part 5 update download on my console on Monday, then a patch midweek and I think another patch on Friday.  I resumed playing this particular save on Friday evening (clicking resume, not load).  I wasn't prompted if I wanted the cougar in this game or not (I understand this is known).

My survivor was in the Far Range Branch Line territory, and on loading I immediately noticed the "Cougar arriving in 5 days" message on the map screen.  I thought nothing of it and headed back to Broken Railroad and the message disappeared.  I crossed Forlorn Muskeg into Mystery Lake without incident, picked up a few things and then headed back to the Far Territory as my plan was to explore the Zone of Contamination and carry on with Tales.

When I got back to the Far Range Branch Line - "Cougar arriving in 2 days".  Fair enough, I'm only passing through.  I pressed on into Transfer Pass.  "Cougar arriving in 5 days".  Now I'm starting to pay attention.

As mentioned, this was Pilgrim (😆) mode, and I certainly hadn't been hanging around in Far Range Branch Line for fifty plus days.  In fact, I'd only just travelled there prior to the update, as I was moving my gear all the way from Timberwolf Mountain in preparation to continue Tales.  So I'd been in Far Range Branch Line, what, two days at most?

Anyway, "5 days" I thought once more.  "I'm just passing through".  So I left my travois at the Vacant Depot and decided to scout out the rope climb area and have a wander into Sundered Pass to see the new region.  And when I got there, I once again saw the "Cougar arriving in 5 days" message.

I explored the valley floor and stayed overnight the Last Lonely House before heading up the climbs towards the Weather Station, mapping as I went.  Somewhere between the fallen tree bridge and the Perilous Bridge, and completely by accident, I found myself mapping the Cougar Den.  It was only when it popped up on the map that I noticed that the ominous drum-beat music had been playing in the background.  In fact, it was playing from the far end of the Perilous Bridge all the way back to near the transition cave to Forsake Airfield.

I was now a little bit freaked out, and as my survivor was low on stamina I couldn't progress up to the weather station, so I ended up sleeping overnight in the transition cave.

In the morning, I checked the map.  "Cougar arriving in 3 days".  OK.  I climbed back down and headed back to Transfer Pass.  "Cougar arriving in 3 days" there as well.  OK.

On a hunch, I went to Zone of Contamination.  "Cougar arriving in 3 days".  Forsaken Airfield?  "Cougar arriving in 3 days."  Uh-oh.

Back to Far Range Branch Line?  "Cougar present in region", and ominous music playing right from the start.  Oh hell no.  A trek all the way back to Broken Railroad would involve traversing two long, dark, narrow yet still very much outdoor tunnels, and there's no way in the world I wanted to run into Hinterland's murder cat in there.

So I went back to Transfer Pass, and I'm currently sat in front of the fire in the no-loading screen Vacant Depot, staring blankly at the "Cougar arriving in 2 days message" on the map, nerves shattered and wondering what my next move will be.  Checkmate?

It's awesome.  Terrifying and awesome.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention this as this behaviour doesn't seem match what I'd seen in the articles, and I wasn't sure if it was a bug, an artifact from last week's updates or the  "resume game" process or what.  Or is it something to do with the fact that the cougar's nest is nearby?  I really don't know.  What I do know is I advocated for something like this recently, so it's kind of ironic.

TL:DR?  Cat has me cornered in the Far Territory.  I cannot get out.  I cannot get out.

Edited by ElSuperGecko
  • Upvote 3

As I understand it, "Cougar arriving in two days" means literally that - that it's arriving in your current region in two days, and until then you still have time to get out. It shouldn't attack immediately when that timer runs out either - that's more just a note that it could attack at any time, but could still take a coupla days. You can make it all the way from the Vacant Depot back to Camp Office in a single day (at a push), so don't let the warning put you off. I wasn't expecting timbies when I checked out the new region, so I had to hightail it out to get re-equipped. My Transfer Pass Cougar warning was at 3 days, but I made it through the Far Branch Line and all the way back to Camp Office without so much as a growl from the kitty, and I think by the time I made it to Broken Railroad the Cougar warning was gone.

Don't let it put you off. You can make it.  ^_^

Oh, and please don't blame me if your game's behaving oddly or your previous proximity to its nest has made it extra grumpy with you or something, and it jumps you anyway. All I know is that you should be okay.  😜

Edited by artmunki
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, artmunki said:

As I understand it, "Cougar arriving in two days" means literally that - that it's arriving in your current region in two days, and until then you still have time to get out. It shouldn't attack immediately when that timer runs out either - that's more just a note that it could attack at any time, but could still take a coupla days. You can make it all the way from the Vacant Depot back to Camp Office in a single day (at a push), so don't let the warning put you off. I wasn't expecting timbies when I checked out the new region, so I had to hightail it out to get re-equipped. My Transfer Pass Cougar warning was at 3 days, but I made it through the Far Branch Line and all the way back to Camp Office without so much as a growl from the kitty, and I think by the time I made it to Broken Railroad the Cougar warning was gone.

Don't let it put you off. You can make it.  ^_^

Well, Sundered Pass, Zone of Contamination and Forsaken Airfield and Transfer Pass are ALL showing "Cougar arriving in 2 days" at the same time.

The big problem though is that Far Range Branch Line is showing "Cougar present in region", is displaying the cougar active symbol and is playing the ominous music, and it's the only way out of the Far Territory!

I mean, I can risk it... but if the cougar jumps me in one of the train tunnels, I don't rate my chances of getting a shot on it...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ElSuperGecko said:

Well, Sundered Pass, Zone of Contamination and Forsaken Airfield and Transfer Pass are ALL showing "Cougar arriving in 2 days" at the same time.

The big problem though is that Far Range Branch Line is showing "Cougar present in region", is displaying the cougar active symbol and is playing the ominous music, and it's the only way out of the Far Territory!

I mean, I can risk it... but if the cougar jumps me in one of the train tunnels, I don't rate my chances of getting a shot on it...

Ah right - Cougar present is a very different matter. Sorry, I guess I missed that bit the last time. Yeah, I don't think I'd risk that either tbh. gulp

I'd suggest going to hang out somewhere reasonably close to the transit point in one of the other FT regions for a few days until it arrives there instead. Then as soon as you get the "present" notice there, you have the choice whether you want to stick around for a coupla days and face it in the open, or hightail it out of there, straight through TP, and start making your way out through the train tunnels (and more importantly, putting regions between you and the cat).

Might be wise to make your decision before you pick which region to wait in tho. The Last Lonely House would be a fairly safe & nearby choice if you just wanna get out of there, but the forest there could be a bit dense to afford you a clear shot. The airfield's obviously a lot more open - ideal if you wanna face it, but it's a long trek back to the transit if you just want to escape. The Zone does have a usable cave pretty close to the transit too, but I can't really remember how open that area is. Or of course you could just wait in TP - maybe the best of both worlds tbh, tho in that case you'd still need to get all the way down the branch line before you'd have the security of a buffer region between you and your pursuer.

Decisions, decisions!  ^_^

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2024 at 2:17 AM, ElSuperGecko said:

Morning all, I just thought I'd mention this strange interaction I've had with the cougar encroachment mechanics over the weekend, as it doesn't match the description I've seen for the mechanic on either the announcement post or elsewhere.  I'm playing on XBox, this was an existing game (500+ days) in Pilgrim mode (don't judge me 😆).

TL:DR?  Cat has me cornered in the Far Territory.  I cannot get out.  I cannot get out.

This behavior you're describing sounds like a bug to me, but if you feel what you're experiencing is a bug or unintended behavior, or you have feedback on it, I'd recomend submitting an Official Hinterlands feedback ticket/bug report.

If you are concerned about the longevity of your survivor (e.g. potentially losing them to a bug), I'd recommend pausing your gameplay for a few real-world days until the v2.30 patch (or whichever the Console equivalent is) is released on your platform. Here is a link to Hinterland's notice of the removal, I believe this patch should arrive some time this week (of July 1st, 2024).

I also believe though, that if you were to fight and kill these Cougar(s) that this bug should be resolved. I think this bug is caused by some legacy error with saves made before the Cougar patch v2.29 (or the console equivalent), where 'all' "time spent in region" data is considered for initial Cougar activity. I would 'probably' recommend against this though, Cougar attacks are pretty dangerous and you probably could not survive two of them within ~3 days or so, even with best-in-slot gear and ideal medical treatment/rest.

On 7/1/2024 at 1:23 PM, artmunki said:

As I understand it, "Cougar arriving in two days" means literally that - that it's arriving in your current region in two days, and until then you still have time to get out.

Yes, I think it would be possible to get out and escape this region ASAP if you chose. There is also the "0th Day" aka "Cougar Arriving in 0 Days", so you may have a bit of additional time before an arrival/attack.

Far as I understanding it the cougar should work like this:

Cougar Encroachment Behavior

Spoiler
  • Cougar Encroaches after X days spent consecutively in a region (70 on Pilgrim, 30 on Voyageur/Stalker, 20 on Interloper, 10 on Misery)
  • On "Encroaching" there is a UI warning in the top center of the screen, and a timer warning on the Map (should always start as 5 Days and decrement from there)

20240627221639_1.jpg.d80efdc07d1848e50fe852eb039ca427.jpg20240628184926_1.jpg.674ee3d07d34a4a67573a19f79470e08.jpg

Cougar Arrival Behavior

Spoiler

Once the Cougar arrives in the region, you should get a "Cougar Threat in Region" warning and a red cougar warning indicator in the lower left whenever you are outdoors (and at risk of attack)

I 'think' the cougar should indefinitely in the region as long as it is alive and the player also in the region. Or, if:

• The player kills the cougar
  • The player leaves the region for 10+ days
  • The player destroys the Cougar Den (only Cougar Den exists present across all Regions of Great Bear Island, and it's location is semi-randomized)

20240627230231_1.thumb.jpg.08f895b31ee0e602497ec87d4bfd13e1.jpg

Edited by Veskaida