The trader and how it might work ?

How do we think they will implement the trader into the game ? I’m assuming it will be a vending machine type deal and you have to find coins to use it ? Different vending machines could have different loot ?  

I can't really see a vending machine being the right kinda fit for TLD, but the aspect of that where there isn't an actual trader character to interact with would seem to be pointing in the right direction, I think.

My guess would be that there will be a location with like an order book and a list of wanted items/materials accepted for trade. You drop off your wares and place an order, then come back at some later date to pick up your order. I can't even guess how likely this might be, but it would at least preserve the solitude of the game.

That said, What I really expect at this point is for Hinterland to pull off something totally unexpected. They have a wee bit of a knack for that  ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, artmunki said:

My guess would be that there will be a location with like an order book and a list of wanted items/materials accepted for trade. You drop off your wares and place an order, then come back at some later date to pick up your order. I can't even guess how likely this might be, but it would at least preserve the solitude of the game.

That sounds like the right direction.  I could see there being a “mission” aspect of it.  Kinda like in episode 3, in ML the retrieval of ammunition for the forest talker.  Then he leaves a pair of deerskin boots or Mukluks I think?

The balance would probably be along the lines of 3 normal rifles in exchange for the Curators or something to that effect.  

I’m still thinking it might be a good place for the use of the radio and the Aurora, also reminiscent of Ep.3

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

That sounds like the right direction.  I could see there being a “mission” aspect of it.  Kinda like in episode 3, in ML the retrieval of ammunition for the forest talker.  Then he leaves a pair of deerskin boots or Mukluks I think?

The balance would probably be along the lines of 3 normal rifles in exchange for the Curators or something to that effect.  

I’m still thinking it might be a good place for the use of the radio and the Aurora, also reminiscent of Ep.3

I'd totally forgotten about that little Forest Talker drop-off in Wintermute, but it does line up quite well I guess. I definitely do like the idea of using something electrical to place orders tho, making it dependent on the Aurora, and the handheld radio would absolutely make sense.

I'm not so sure about the Trader having big-ticket items like rifles tho. I mean, it certainly would fit with the effort likely to be involved in making trades, but I'm expecting it to be a source for simpler, finite stuff like cooking supplies and whatever materials will eventually be needed for photography when that comes. Maybe some unique items or even a few new crafting recipes.

I'm not pinning my hopes on anything tho - just looking forward to finding out what hinterland give us.  ^_^

• Upvote 2