QTEs and other ideas

Sasquatch007

First of all, as a disclaimer I a have only looked into a small amount of the wishlist in this forum. I do not mean to steal ideas from anyone who I didn’t see.

My first idea: QTEs

I recently saw a friend replay a little bit of Until Dawn. The game is really more of a movie than a game and to keep with the flow of the game quick time events (QTEs) are used. This is used mostly when running to avoid tripping but I think they could be utilized in The Long Dark to make it seem less like a walking simulator to get to locations and more like a journey each time. I do not want them to be overused however, as that would make the mechanic and game seem gimmicky. The best spot for them? Rope climbing. Rope climbing should be good, but comes off as an annoying feature. Hey I noticed that your at the top of the rope and out of fatigue or stamina? Well how about falling and potentially risking a run! I get that the point of the game is to be punishing, however it is supposed to be punishing AND fun and rope climbing doesn’t have both. 
So again my idea: QTEs

When climbing up with good levels of stamina and fatigue, a QTE will pop up every so often and will be moderately fast. If you aren’t able to tap fast enough, no punishment. If you are however, it will grant a quick boost that will save a little bit of fatigue. (Not stamina as we have crampons in the game). If a level of fatigue or stamina reaches zero though, a very fast QTE will appear every 3 or so seconds. When it is a successful tap you will be able to keep climbing, but no guarantee as to add more danger in the mix. If theres an unsuccessful tap you will slip/fall.

Lastly and not related to the mechanic mentioned above, I have seen some people asking for shotguns. I think they could be added if and only if there are hunt-able birds in the game. Birdshot only. 

• Upvote 1