That OpenGL issue that plagues the Linux version...

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

... actually is present on.... wait for it.... the Windows Version of TLD running via Crossover on an M1 Mac, when forcing GL core.

Now isn't that fairly interesting? And yes, it's the same terrain z-fighting issue. Exactly the same. The fact that this happens on

• a different OS (MacOS)
  • with a different openGL implementation (no idea what Apple uses there, probably some Mesa derivative)
  • with totally different video hardware (M1 Macs use some PowerVR derivative minus basically most of the fixed function shader hardware as far as I've read about it)
  • with a different binary of the application (The Windows binary)
  • and through AMD64-to-ARMv8 emulation/translation

makes the fact fairly obvious that the culprit must be the openGL implementation of the game / Unity, and that for some reason this does not happen with the GL implementation on Windows. In fact I'd wager that the GL core works around some Windows wonkyness, and hence breaks GL on other platforms.

(Ah right, and for those who are interested: yes you can run Windows TLD via Crossover on ARM Macs. The best way to do it is apparently running with the DX11-to-Vulkan-to-Metal backend. Direct Vulkan-to-Metal doesn't work. You just shouldn't do it since there really is no point to it because the performance drops by best case I'd say two thirds and MelonLoader doesn't run via Crossover. It fixes the mouse position bug, tho.)

Edited by jeffpeng