OSX external mouse stops responding, only for movement

Wisq

Description: i was playing The Long Dark last night on my laptop with a Logitech wireless mouse. At least twice during my play session, the in-game camera movement stopped responding to the external mouse. I could still use it in the menus, and I could still use my built-in trackpad for both in-game movement and the menus. So it seems like the issue was specific to normal camera movement + external mouse. I managed to recover it once by poking around in the control menus and coming back, but I didn't actually change anything.

Reproduction steps: Unknown, sorry. This occurred once when I was in the starting area of the Mystery Lake, getting my bearings; and, once later, when I was inside one of the lakeside cabins. I hope it's reproduceable but for all I know it might be hardware-specific. It's utterly baffling to me that it was neither a complete external mouse failure, nor a complete failure of in-game camera movement.

Edit: For clarification: this was a wireless mouse with a USB receiver, not a Bluetooth mouse. I believe Logitech uses a standard "unified" receiver for all their wireless peripherals, so that might help.

Out of curiosity, what model mouse are you using?

I've been using a Logitech M705 (also wireless with an USB receiver) with a Retina MBP (OS X 10.9.5), and never had an issue like that. Unity + OS X + Mouse is tricky - I encountered several mouse related bugs with other Unity based games, and one minor one with TLD, but never an issue like you described.

• 7 months later...

I'm having the same issue on .264

It happens consistently if I touch the trackpad while the external mouse is connected. I've since set the OS to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is connected.

However, I have had it lose the external mouse when the mouse disconnected and reconnected as well (due to low battery). When this happened, the built in trackpad wasn't responding because the previously mentioned OS setting. The mouse would still work in the menus.

Mouse: Apple Magic Mouse

Computer: MacBook Pro 10,2

I hadn't played much on the mac prior to .264 so I don't know if this is something that also happened prior.

Archived