My feelings and thoughts about the storymode

Tripelpunkt

Hey guys!

I just have finished episode 2. This text will be full of spoilers so please dont read, if you havent finished episode 2.

I expected more from the story mode. Especially when I think about how long the story mode was shifted.  I play this game since 2014, I loved and still love the sandbox mode to which I just spent over 100 hours. And when I saw the first storymode trailer I was flashed. Thought, there will be a deep story. But the reality is sobering. Sorry but i really have to say, the story was absolutely boring till yet. Also everything feels unfinished and unpolished like an alpha and not like a game, that just left the Early Acces. In the first episode, the missions for the blind lady.... Snore.... Get wood for me, get food for me, do this for me... Why should I? I dont want to! But I had cus I wanted to play through the story... And I dont have an option to say "no". And when I finished that, what was the ultimate info she gave me? Nothing! Just like "go this way" and some cutscene with her died daughter to what I probably feel sorry but I didnt feel nothing but "damn, **** you, old granny!"

Episode 1 ended and the cutscene was like "wtf is going on here?!" for me...

Episode 2 starts, a Trapper was hurt by a bear and needed my help. Fine, why not? But why does I have to be the slave to him just the way I was forced to be the slave to the blind granny? That "survival-training" felt completely unnecesarry. I mean im a bushpilot and I went through the wilderness to save your ass. So I can care for my own. But he wanted me to supply him so I did what had to be done... For what? For another "go that way and I hope you find your friend. Ah and: WINTERMUTE!". By the way: whats the deal with the trustlevel? Anyway... I went to the dam and I really have to say that now the story began to please me. The guy on the fire and the guy who tied me to the chair were great. Nice written texts, nice atmosphere! And than... THE END!

So what did the story told us? What do we know about the world now?  Uhm... Barely nothing. Im a stranded bushpilot in the wilderness which is looking for his ex girlfriend/wife in a postapocalyptic world where some kind of geomagnetic storm mashed ob all electricity. Well, I allready knew that from the Trailer. The storymode felt more like the sandboxmode but without freedom and with some quests which are bad and uncreative designed. It is a fact that the sandboxmode is still the main attraction of this game.

So a storymode that told nothing, quests which are boring and annoying and meaningless charakters. Just 2 really nice moments: the introscene for episode 2 and the end of episode 2. Hinterland, if you dont start to tell us a good story or at least some kind of story in episode 3... The storymode will be a big fail.

Same feelings, bro. There are lot of similar opinions in this thread 

I can live with weak story and boring npc quests but my major dissapointment about story mode - in the game about a survival there is NO SURVIVAL at all. And as a consequence - there is no moral choices. For example if you are dying from cold/starvation/deseases  you have to do difficult choice - to take/steal (or not to) food/cloth/ammo/medicine from somebody. But here I'm like a trade caravan full of goodies. Take ammo? Nah, keep it to yourself, I don't need it at all. Both episodes are one overextended tutorial for the "newcomers".

I felt the same about the difficulty. But im an old sandbox veteran and the story was also made for newcommers, so I was okay with that. But I can agree with you in point of survival, there were no survival at all. I didnt died once in both episodes and never had any problems with food, clothing and so on.

Archived