Hand on map, survey/navigation skill, other suggestions

Nicklesbe

Hi,

First off great game. Very good survival game and I love the story so far. I know a big part of the survival is the possibility of getting lost so a map marker would more or less defeat the purpose. Something I enjoyed about survival mode is that when you used coal to draw a section of the map it left a fairly wide area of where you could be. In story mode the map is already revealed for you. So I figured it would be kind of neat if there was a surveying/location finding skill in conjunction with the players hand on the map? Starting out the hand would be in the shape of a wide circle, as you build the skill up and use tools like a compass and sextant the circle gets tighter until finally it's just an index finger showing your exact location on the map. Even have variables like health condition and weather affect your ability to discern your ability like if you are freezing then your hand would shake on the map.

As for other suggestions I would really like to see a survival mode with NPCs. Not only the stationary NPCs that help you in story mode but also active NPCs. Kind of like state of decay. NPCs where one or two can follow you and help you while the rest stay in a base area working different stations you could build that do a specific job or train the survivor. Then not only have to manage your and their survival where you have to make hard choices on supplies and treating/feeding those that depend on you but you also have to manage their trust and mental state. So if like someone get's too scared or stressed or fed up with you they turn on you and run away with supplies to try and survive on their own.

Then like randomly new survivors will show up somewhere either random hikers, or like a plane/helicopter crash from an Aurora or some other way and you can find them and convince them to come with you or they try to survive on their own and end up succumbing to the elements. OR they could be escaped convicts/criminals that will attack you on sight, or join up with a group of existing nomad raiders/cannibals or trick you and pretend to be survivors and then they steal your supplies once at base and then run off to the raiders to tell them your location. Survivors who aren't with you yet could also be captured or killed by these raiders/cannibals if you don't help them.

Then every once in awhile have supply air drops from the army and then once every few months or so have a rescue helicopter which attracts bears, wolves, and raiders and it's your job to deliver some of the survivors to it to be rescued. Then have like a rogue like feature where if your character is killed/dies of natural causes or is rescued you take over one of the existing survivors in the camp and if you like a character you can choose to not be rescued and instead go back to try and get more survivors to it before time runs out and they leave due to weather conditions.  

Archived