XBox1 comments

r4nd0m

I wanted to wait until after I've been playing a week on the new update (FC) to get a grasp on the new controls and world before I made a comment so I've been checking it out.  The update was interesting, loved that it went primitive without the percentages (no one would know that in real life anyway (especially after a geomagnetic disaster)), but I'm totally digging it.  Got a little spoiled with all the percentages in the last UI.  All of you at Hinterland, great job and keep it up.  The world is amazing, keep optimizing, and keep doing what you do.  Lovin the new environment.  I like the new UI but there are a  couple points I'd mend if it'd be feasible:

First Aid... List all the First Aid items (and be functional) on the Afflictions page.  You'd still have to pick out and apply each fix.  Going to different menu pages to radial and then back to the menu to see what else needs to be fixed and then back to radial is a little too long to be spending on menus when another attack is imminent.  If that's not possible then maybe my next suggestion would be an easier solution.

Inventory Menu... It'd be nice if I'm on the Afflictions tab, go back to playing for a bit, and call back up the menu, if I could return to the tab I was on.  Currently, going from menu to game to menu always reverts back to the inventory page.  Not a big deal but it'd make it easier to see what I have to fix out of many multiple injuries, go to radial to take meds, and then back to the menu to see what else I need to fix.  Side note, most all controls outside of first aid are totally doable, just takes some getting use to.

Charcoal... So on XBox1, to select charcoal on the radial you have to hold Up to select it.  When I stood on the edge of a mountain for the best view possible for my first charcoal map drawing, holding "Up" to select charcoal...... ran my character off a cliff.  Maybe put a half second "move" delay after selecting charcoal from the radial. Otherwise it's an unintentional sprint forward a few feet. 

Clothing Menu... Minor detail... When pressing down to select the gloves or boots you have to be on the outer layer of the category above it.  If you're on the interior layer (socks, shirt) then pressing down the selector jumps over gloves or boots and goes back up top to hats.

Game crashes... About 20 days in on a voyager run the game crashed 3 times on the Ravine going from ML to CH, each time between the tunnel and the long railroad tracks with the waterfall, all around noon, good weather.  After the first time it crashed back to the main menu, I started back in one of the ML fishing huts where I started that days journey (no big deal, that was my last save).  So I made sure to throw down the sleeping bag in the tunnel on Ravine to save up to that point.  2nd time it crashed when I was about 100 meters from that same bridge.  3rd time when I was almost to the tricky rail section.  The next time I got through, no problem and didn't see crashes on any other maps. 

My daughter really likes playing the game too (she's 11).  The only part she doesn't like is when we kill the "pretty bunny" (so we release more than we kill when she's looking, otherwise I tell her to go get something out of the next room real quick.  Especially when I need the gut for fish line).  Anyway, I told her you guys wanted player feedback so she had a couple things to add.  "Why are the bunnies brown instead of white like snow shoe hares since it's winter?" and "Why can't we sleep on the couch?"

Sorry for the long post, just trying to point out some things that'd be helpful.  Keep up the great work, it's really nice getting to enjoy a game that the developers strive to improve and build upon even when it's as beautiful as it is already.  Can't wait to see where the game is in August!  I come from an outdoors type of family so this game knocks it out of the park with the survival appeal, absolutely love it!

PS ~ Can you add some Long Dark metal camping mugs to your merchandise store?  It'd be cool to have the reminder when out in the back country ;) 

Archived