Guns and the limited addition of them

jacques_beaudette

From what I've played in the alpha I was able two get that .303 rifle in two different places that made complete sense on where they were placed, I wouldn't mind seeing a cleaning kit for said rifles. I know at the ranger station on the top of the mountain I was able to find bullets, a gun cleaning kit would make sense to be placed at the same location. Even the Canadian Rangers have to maintain their rifles. Ammo should (based on condition) misfire or have a certain percentage chance to misfire. Depending on the situation a bullet can be disassembled and the gunpowder used to help start a fire.

I figure some of the community would probably want to see more firearms in the game, even I wouldn't mind seeing a few more additions. However knowing the survival nature of the game even I would keep the number limited. Pistols aren't very likely for the setting of the game, maybe a revolver. Shotguns have a better chance of being seen up north like that. Including another rifle such as a small .22 caliber would make sense, but I wouldn't make it take down a deer or a wolf in a single shot. It would be used more for smaller game; rabbits, squirrels, etc. A musket would be a nice addition, your balls and powder would have to be accounted for and shooting it would have get the player to get closer to there prey as it's not as accurate as rifled guns.

Bows and Crossbows are another idea, but my knowledge on them is far less than that of firearms.

So far from what I've played (Appx. 10 or so hours) ammo is relatively hard to find and when found it's in low quantities. I wouldn't change that at all. I've been enjoying the sandbox since I've started playing and can only say the the Hinterland Team is doing a great job at capturing the survival feel to the game. I can't wait to try the next sandbox map.

A musket wouldn't be useful considering their inaccuracy when compared to modern firearms, and the fact that black powder (which muskets use, they can't use smokeless powders used nowadays) isn't used in conventional firearms anymore and therefore has no reason to be up in the arctic.

I do support a .22 rifle, however. Not enough power to down either forms of game in one shot, but better than nothing, and would be able to ward off wolves.

yes but the .303 british or pretty much any bolt action military rifle is very hard to get a misfire even if not cared for. more likely for a bolt action to misfire the the ammo would be extremely old or degraded, so maybe ammo condition can be the more determining factor in a misfire, ammo shouldnt necessairly degrade much over the course of a winter being chambered in a gun or held in a pocket, but maybe some 10-20% condition ammo thats use at your own risk/might break your rifle for good

We don't know the scope of the finished game yet. Will it be very small and enclosed (much like the sandbox is now), or will it be a massive wilderness of literally miles and miles of terrain to slog over. Will the expectation be that the survivor loots and holds up in a shack, waiting for rescue? Or will the expectation be that the survivor treks through the wilderness like a nomad, going from valley to valley, in search of rescue or civilization?

I hope the finished game will encourage exploration, and mile after mile of terrain to contend with. If so, they I hope they throw in MANY guns. 22LR's, perhaps a three or four different types. The 303, a 308, 30-06, 338 Win Mag, 45-70, 6.5x55, 243, 12 gauge, 20 gauge, Bows, X-Bows, maybe even some dead soldiers holding a c7 or c8 (M-16 variant). However, guns are heavy. And finding one doesn't mean you can use it for anything other than a club if you don't find ammo. If the survivor finds a cool 30-06 with illuminated scope, but doesn't find ammo, should he carry it along, in hopes of finding ammo, or leave it behind, and save the weight. Likewise, does the survivor keep the box of 243 ammo, or abandon it, knowing it is doubtful he will find a gun that can shoot it.

These would be awesome decisions to force the survivor to make.

Archived