a few leftover thoughts

ThePope

right now you can just boil water to infinity (ive had over 100litres) and they just go in to water bottles like a aquafina factory. maybe if we spawn with a plastic bottle or a canteen with a limited capacity. maybe we spawn with a cup to boil in, but we have a finite ability to store water.

if we eat a can of beans thats been opened with a can opener we can use the can to boil/store water. or use the can for a fraction of scrap

depending on container water can become contaminated over time (open air can vs plastic bottle). stored water bottles may freeze, so you have to either thaw them (by putting them on your person or something or with a fire) and to a lesser extent cooked meat may freeze (imo if difficult to implement not worth it)

While I like the idea of limiting the amount of water to water bottles I don't want to receive empty cans. I think when the crafting system is fully implemented the stuff we have to carry around will be maxed.

I don't want to go through my inventory and have tons of stuff I really don't need.

I did once have to use an empty can of chili to do the melt/boil thing. Didn't taste great.

Right now the handling of potable water is a huge realism issue. Water freezes in the Canadian winter, regardless of whether it's been boiled or is carbonated and full of high fructose corn syrup. You should have to re-melt your potable water if it has been sitting a while at subzero temperatures.

The infinite supply of plastic water bottles is also a bit jarring. IRL, water storage is kind of a big deal for multiple reasons; durability, watertightness, size, sanitaryness... Water storage is an essential piece of gear, and it' be great if the game reflected that.

Archived