Reading material and real time cooking

HyperMoon

So this is kind of 2 different ideas I had but they kind of tie together. I had this idea for the game when I was sitting by the fire waiting to warm up. Instead of just sitting there waiting for my temperature to warm up it would be cool if you could read a book or something while you are just sitting there instead of doing nothing. Like read an actual book or a short story.

Graphically it would be nice if it actually showed the book in the game as actual pages that flipped and turned in your hands to enhance immersion. And of course, you might have to sacrifice your beloved book if you had nothing else to burn.

My other idea is that it would also be cool if you could cook food without having to skip time. Instead of skipping an hour ahead when you are cooking some food, your food would simply cook on the stove and you could go away and do stuff while its cooking. (like reading!)

A game that does this pretty well is project zomboid. You can put food on the fire like you put items in a drawer and it simply heads up and starts cooking. You can overcook it and ruin your food if you dont take it off the fire when it's fully cooked so you have to be mindful of how long your food has been cooking just like in real life.

I know time skipping ahead for things like sleeping and breaking items down is kind of necessary (nobody wants to sit and watch a chopping animation that lasts minutes), but I feel like cooking could be a real time event and would make the game more immersive. Any thoughts?

Archived