random maps & map constructor for workshop

dornenfeld

I really want to play on random/customisable maps. For not getting completly crappy maps use "biomes" or minimum distances between particular objects.

And what would be even better: a map-constuction-set where you can share your maps via steam-workshop. (you should be able to connect different maps indeed)

The point is, that the environment itself has the greatest influence on how you have to play to achieve different goals. That means the game losses a lot of longtime motivation, just cause you know the maps too good.

Once released this feature would work very effective for Hinterland. The active community would decrease the studios own tasks, while giving the game more and more new maps, and Hinterland could work on other things (story-mode :oops: ).

I think this is really what this game needs. I love the design of the maps so far and as big as they are, it's pretty easy to become quite familiar with where everything is too easily and the whole exploration bit gets completely lost when you know where everything is.

Random maps and a workshop ability to add maps seems like amazing idea.

This has come up before, and making truly random maps would require pretty much complete rewrite of the game.

It should, however, be possible to add some random elements to current or future maps in a similar fashion to how some buildings spawn as intact or ruined by game.

In ML, for example, the trapper's homestead might have a chance of appearing intact, or the door might be torn off its hinges and the interior might be torn apart (as if a bear got in). The damaged version would have lots fewer resources, the interior temperature would be below freezing, and the stove, bed, and/or workbench might be useless. The location of the building would be the same, but the usefulness of the site would vary.

Future maps might be designed in such a way that there are a few designated sites for major features, but the features would be assigned to those sites randomly. Players would know which features are on the map, and where the designated sites are, but they wouldn't know (from game to game) which site each feature is at. Bonus if the features outnumber the designated sites, so there is uncertainty which features spawned and which didn't.

I dont care if its possible. Its just my wish. And elements of a map that will spawn in different ways arent even small compensations for complete new maps per day.

And as i said, a map-constructor would be way more better. I dont think that its a big problem to add this feature. Its not a new thing in gaming, and it should have been considered from the beginning of development.

Archived