Beaver trapping, tip ups, bow saw, est.

RobbieFitz

Bushcraft bow Saw 

For more efficient wood processing, Lighter

Less useful tool overall, Wears out faster

Ice fishing improvised tip up. 

Growing up at the North my grandfather used to make tip ups using a shopping bag secured to the end of a Willow branch which would let the wind give your line some movement. This would be a way to increase your odds of a catch. Even if it's just limited to the area immediately outside the ice fishing shacks.

Beaver trapping

Beaver trapping through the Ice could be a neat addition. Chip a hole in the ice and let a snare pole freeze in place. Upon checking you will need to chip your set out to retrieve your catch. You could mark viable bodies of water to trap by having a beaver house along the shore and obvious Beaver cut down trees.

Mountain lions

Animal conflicts are already a little blown out of proportion. Although I think it is a good artistic Liberty that makes the game more interesting. Maybe a good low chance encounter would be that of being stalked by a cougar. If left unnoticed or un dealt with this encounter would be almost certainly fatal.

Pemmican

This combination of meat fat and berries would be a good way to give the player a field craftable low weight high calorie food. Not sure how this would work out considering animal fat is considered same as kerosene. Additionally there's no berries to be found in an eternal winter.

-Other player suggestions I like-

curing meat 

Whether by salting or smoke curing meat for longer storage makes sense

Ye old Stanley Thermos 

Pretty simple just keeps the wets hot longer

Snow depth and snowshoes 

I'm not sure how this mechanic would be worked in. But is it is a significant factor in travel sometimes. I think it would be an important factor that snowshoes would be equally a hindrance and lighter snow though.

Edited by RobbieFitz
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Snow Depth/Snowshoes would need a new zone for deep snow mechanic and you would have to find risk vs reward for vanilla zones and balance it out. (coming from an only interloper player)

Thermos is a great idea - Harvest for scrap metal - heavy so you would want to think about carrying it.

Curing/smoking meat and fish - Always have wanted this!

Beavers would be amazing.