small wishlist

Coccolo

Hi all,

this is my first post!

I thought of some things that would make nice additions to the gameplay:

1. a lit flare should help starting a fire.

2. running/exerting for a long time should cause sweat, which makes clothes wet, which then need to be dried.

3. in rooms that are not separated from the outside (e.g. lookouts), leaving the door open should leak heat out.

4. empty bottles/containers could be a resource instead of magically appearing as the player melts snow (maybe only for stalker).

I apologize if some of these have already been discussed in the forum.

Cheers!

PS: game's awesome! :)

Hi Coccolo,

A lit flare can be used to start a fire! Just hit the next/previous arrow when choosing your lighting instrument :)

I also love the idea of empty bottles for stalker mode and any other more challenging mode they introduce.

A lit flare can be used to start a fire! Just hit the next/previous arrow when choosing your lighting instrument :)

Ooops, my bad!

The other day I was exactly starting a fire while holding a lit flare and I don't think I saw the flare available (maybe I didn't check thoroughly).

I'll check again next time I have a chance. ;)

Hi all,

this is my first post!

I thought of some things that would make nice additions to the gameplay:

4. empty bottles/containers could be a resource instead of magically appearing as the player melts snow (maybe only for stalker).

Welcome to the forums! By empty bottles do you mean the small bottles that appear as you collect or store water? What kind of resource would these bottles represent? Something for crafting?

Welcome to the forums! By empty bottles do you mean the small bottles that appear as you collect or store water? What kind of resource would these bottles represent? Something for crafting?

Thank you for the welcome, Patrick! :)

Yes, I was meaning the bottles that store water.

I meant to use the word "resource" in a more general context: they would be something scarce in the world, something that cannot be obtained at will and that should be treasured once found.

They wouldn't be crafted. They would just be found in houses (in trash bins?), like e.g. knives.

I was thinking how that would work in real life: if you wanted to carry around say 3 liters of water, you'd first have to find 3 empty bottles to put the water in. If you have no empty bottles, you can melt as much snow as you want, but you won't be able to contain/carry it.

Its not that hot outside for running around to actually cause sweating, unless player is wrapped in several layers of furs. But it would be logical that running would increase player internal temperature, so it could be a good idea if youre cold/freezing.

And actual water containers would be interesting idea, starting with metal cans and ending with proper bottles. Also it would make sense to add a pot(or something similar to the game), that allows player first melt/boil water and then either drink it directly or transfer into water containers.

Harvesting ice also could be an interesting mechanic, allowing to carry it around, while outside, but slowly melting depending on temperature. Make a small basket from strings and carry it attached to backpack.

Its not that hot outside for running around to actually cause sweating, unless player is wrapped in several layers of furs. But it would be logical that running would increase player internal temperature, so it could be a good idea if youre cold/freezing.

I know increasing internal temperature when running has been suggested many times in the forums. That makes sense to me as well. It would represent a help for the player.

But I also know, by personal experience, that you can sweat even if it's cold outside.

And this would be a hassle for the player.

I cannot talk about super freezing conditions, like around -30°C, but I can tell you this: every time I go for a long hike I know I will sweat, even if the outside temperature is around 0°C. So much so that I always bring a change of clothes (undershirt and turtleneck) in my backpack: as soon as I stop and rest for a while I can feel the cold caused by my wet undershirt. It's not a problem in summer, but during winter my 'mid-hike-clothes-changing' event is a total pleasure :D

This of course happens if you keep on running or exerting yourself (e.g. climbing up a hill, lugging heavy weights). If you're just strolling around then you would not sweat.

2. running/exerting for a long time should cause sweat, which makes clothes wet, which then need to be dried.

Yeah this has already been brought previously.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7111

The mechanic is interesting and could actually be fun for extra challenge, but as in the thread things like this might annoy some people and that's the reason why these things aren't in games just like why toilets aren't needed. :D

But still, I'd say it could work IF the team is willing to add some "custom difficulty" settings to the game that so many people have asked for. :)

3. in rooms that are not separated from the outside (e.g. lookouts), leaving the door open should leak heat out.

I'm not sure, but doesn't it already work like this? I seriously never checked.

ACTUAL containers are also a long time requested additions. You'd need to have things like a bottle for water, jerrycan for kerosene, matchboxes for matches or if we want to go overboard empty cans for snow that can be melted and pans for cooking. But yeah this is a different subject that would need its own thread. If no one picks up on it I'll do some math and I'll post my idea later on. :mrgreen:

The REAL problem at the moment is the condition system that's still a bit lacking since it works the same way for matches, kerosene and water as it does for food and that makes it hard to to say "transfer all the kerosene into one jerrycan" when nothing can be stacked that has a different condition.

So until the condition system gets extended by "container and contents" separation we'll just have to figure out HOW the system should work so the team can decide if they want to go with it. :P

Hi Gaboris,

thanks for linking that interesting thread regarding sweat.

I do agree that trying to simulate every aspect of the adventure might be detrimental to the gaming experience.

Still, I thought it could be something worth mentioning for the team.

Same thing for the containers. Some might think it's over-simulating.

We'll see if the dev team think it's a worth addition.

Regarding the open doors in the lookouts, it's actually not that big of a deal, but I often have fun taking one step outside during a storm and see the temperature drop by 20°C or more. It's like passing a force field :D

• 5 weeks later...

I totally agree on the bottles. I remember when I played this game for the very first time, and I was overjoyed when I found some plastic bottles with water only to be equally disappointed again when I found out I had no more empty bottles left after drinking all the water.

Also, seeing that you're wandering around in the freezing cold with water stored in plastic bottles, I think it would be great if they'd freeze after enough time out in the cold. Maybe only on the hardest difficulty, but still.

How about if you could find thermos flasks that'd allow you to bring hot coffee or tea that'd stay warm for a certain amount of hours.

Bottle types could be: Plastic, glass, metal and thermos (breakable if you fall down or is attacked by wild animals). Sizes half litre and litre (or whatever is the equivalent for the Imperial system).

I would really love to see bottles as actual containers appear in the game.

Molotov cocktails, anyone? Great for scaring off wild beasts.

Archived