Sled

Jebcool

Add a craftable sled the player can use to transport goods.

Have it require a lot to build and slow the player down and tire him out more. have the sled remove ability to sprint, have it tire the player more based on weight in the sled, but not as much as if it was in the backpack (a sled would be easier to move weight than a backpack after all)

Obviously harder to bring uphill and goes faster downhill.

Maybe even implement a system where the player can sit on it and sled downhill for extra speed and saved energy. (However this could be a little silly for game play)

give sled ability to slide freely. So if the player has to let go of it on a hill for any reason it will then slide all the way downhill, perhaps bumping and damaging or even dropping goods within the sled.

Maybe implement allowing the player to turn it on its side and huddle up next to it to get out of the wind.

Obviously have it so the player can store items in it, maybe an additional 30kg.

have the sled weigh 5-8kg. So the player has the option to pick it up and carry it. Remove ability for sled to slide over things like rock (in mines) forcing the player to carry the sled or leave it behind. (This is also good for areas that the player has to cross over a fallen tree or something too) maybe also implement it unbalancing the player when carried.

Have it so it slides better over snow/ice but is difficult to use over road/wood/etc.

Maybe the player can't hold any items in their hand while pulling the sled either, but have it so you can hook a lantern or torch up to the sled to allow for light.

Basically the item will be useful for serious wood gathering trips, or to go collect the meat and hides off previously killed animals. And for moving homes from one location to the next.

car hood sled

Have this sled separate from the basic and advance sled. Or have this sled in place of the basic sled. This sled is crafted from the hood of a car.

My idea is that the player crafts the sled right at the car (instead of collecting the hood and bringing it to the workbench.) This will require the player to find a way to stay warm while attempting to build the sled.

You will need to bring the materials to the car to Make the sled. I'm thinking 8 guts to use as rope and for the container, as well as skins and logs or saplings to use for the container. This one also requires use of hands and doesn't allow the player to hold latern/gun/etc. Car hood sled can be used as wind breaker.

two versions of sleds.

Basic sled: Basic and wears out realitively quickly. It requines hand slot so you cannot carry weapons or torches. Takes away ability to sprint. Cannot use as wind blocker or sit on to sled downhill.

Advance sled: Advanced, requires more materials including bear. Wears out about half as fast as basic sled. Requires hands but has a pole you can mount a lantern on for light. Allows player to turn it over to use as a wind breaker. Takes away ability to sprint and slows the player slightly (maybe 5-10%) Holds 30kg.

~~~ this one has apperance based aesthetics: such as the hanging lantern. And a slot to put a bedroll on. And maybe a slot for hatchets or other tools. And a slot for up to 10 liters of water.

Edit 1.01: changed how the sled will effect movement and fatigue. Added two sled versions.

Edit 1.02: added idea of car hood as sled. Revised sledding idea

Edit 1.03: clarified holding on to sled and sled sliding. Added potential to carry the sled over areas that wouldnt make sense to pull a sled through

Add a craftable sled the player can use to transport goods.

Have it require a lot to build and slow the player down and tire him out more.

Obviously harder to bring uphill and goes faster downhill.

Maybe even implement a system where the player can sit on it and sled downhill for extra speed and saved energy.

Maybe implement allowing the player to turn it on its side and huddle up next to it to get out of the wind.

Obviously have it so the player can store items in it, maybe an additional 30kg.

Have it so it slides better over snow/ice but is difficult to use over road/wood/etc.

Maybe the player can't hold any items in their hand while pulling the sled either, but have it so you can hook a lantern or torch up to the sled to allow for light.

Basically the item will be useful for serious wood gathering trips, or to go collect the meat and hides off previously killed animals. And for moving homes from one location to the next.

This is a great start. If not going slower, I'd instead opt for not sprinting while dragging the sled and/or the lack of use of hands and therefore a weapon. OR there could be some difference in how compromised your movement is and rate of fatigue depending on the sandbox mode.

I think it would fatigue you pretty quickly depending on how weighed down the sled was but the rate of fatigue or speed would need to be a little more forgiving with a sled vs carrying the same amount of weight as encumbered, or it would make the sled a moot point.

I imagine a sled would be so makeshift that it wouldn't really last for long-term in this environment, though. One big camp move, maybe a few big resource hauls, and it'd be in serious need of repair or you'd need to craft a new one. Meant to make sure players are making wise choices about the time & energy invested in making a sled and making the best use of it.

+1

I'm not so sure about sitting on it though. I can just imagine the hilarity of sledding down a hill, picking up a wolf on the way and only stopping because you hit a bear.

Still a sled or my idea of a Travois (http://www.hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=8206&p=47230#p47230 - shameless plug), it's definitely something I'd like to see in the game. A good use of a car hood, with some of the pallet's to use to hold your gear to the hood.

We are definitely on the same wavelength here too with the idea of turning the sled on it's side to use as a makeshift shelter. A car hood would do great up against some rocks or even a tree. I love the idea of being able to attach a lantern or torch to it as a light fixture (wish we could hang a lantern from the ceiling in the gas station in CH).

it should only work on ice or snow and best on level ice. It should weigh about 5-8 Kg or more if larger capacity. It should let us haul 100 kg or more without difficulty on level ice but loaded, you could not drag it uphill at all. You probably have to carry it to cross roads and such. Main use would be to transport wood to the fishing huts or elsewhere on the lake. A sled makes it easy to move very heavy loads with almost no effort if it has steel runners. With wider wooden runners, a sledge is less efficient but moves better in soft snow. A toboggan is good on snow or ice but more friction since no runners at all. They are steerable... sort of.

To stop on a hill while moving down, you kind of have to bail off or tip it sideways. Loads of fun!!

Please make it possible to slide down hills!! WOW!

it should only work on ice or snow and best on level ice. It should weigh about 5-8 Kg or more if larger capacity. It should let us haul 100 kg or more without difficulty on level ice but loaded, you could not drag it uphill at all. You probably have to carry it to cross roads and such. Main use would be to transport wood to the fishing huts or elsewhere on the lake. A sled makes it easy to move very heavy loads with almost no effort if it has steel runners. With wider wooden runners, a sledge is less efficient but moves better in soft snow. A toboggan is good on snow or ice but more friction since no runners at all. They are steerable... sort of.

To stop on a hill while moving down, you kind of have to bail off or tip it sideways. Loads of fun!!

Please make it possible to slide down hills!! WOW!

I agree on it sliding downhill. And sort of half dragging the player when going downhill. It should also slid when not gripped by the player.

Example: you have a wolf rushing to attack you so you drop the sled to grab your gun, the sled slides all the way downhill and then some.

However I think 100kg would be a bit much. One that's over 220 lbs. Which is a hell of a lot. And two it would just make it too easy. There should be a way to get it through the mines too if you want to use it as transportation from one area to the next.

I'll update based on sliding downhill. And on potential to carry the sled through areas like mines, at the cost of weighing you down

My OP is getting kind of long now. So I would love more suggestions and current feedback on how the post is as of right now (version 1.03) then I'm going to refine my original post into version 2.0 and remove and rearrange things to trim it down.

I agree on it sliding downhill. And sort of half dragging the player when going downhill. It should also slid when not gripped by the player.

Example: you have a wolf rushing to attack you so you drop the sled to grab your gun, the sled slides all the way downhill and then some.

I like that idea and perhaps have some of your kit scattered about as it slides away. I noticed recently that after wolf attacks, I sometimes have items just scattered about.

However I think 100kg would be a bit much. One that's over 220 lbs. Which is a hell of a lot. And two it would just make it too easy. There should be a way to get it through the mines too if you want to use it as transportation from one area to the next.

I don't think 100kg is all that much for a sled, but it should be the max weight a player could carry, both on their person and with the sled. Example, I'm carrying 40kg on my person and 60kg on the sled. And I definitely second the notion of getting it thru the mines, if ONLY to make game more enjoyable for the player.

there could be diffrent types of sleds to that can degrade like

cloth sled- made from line and 10 cloth

wood sled- heavier and slows you down a bit made from 5 cedar wood and nails (that can be forged)

scrap metal sled: median weight (20 metal forged and last longer)

Capacity of a small sled for carrying wood. You can see that in deep snow, this is very hard work. You can however move several hundred pounds of wood at once.

[bBvideo 854,480:2u74c54b]

[/bBvideo]

The advantage of sled runners or skis to move through deep snow.

The Corbin Ski Sled for wood

The advantage of narrow metal runners on a sled designed for the ice.

The flexible flier, steerable sled

Different sled designs for different conditions! Steel runners for ice, toboggan or wide ski runners for snow!

• 1 month later...

If I was to try to build a sled from the materials at hand, I would use three or more planks, two for runners and one or two for cross pieces. A tarp stretched across makes it able to carry things such as a bear hide or two deer hides depending on how large you make it. Ultimately, it would be super cool to tame wolves to act as sled dogs however you'd have to be good at fishing and hunting to keep them fed!! Fortunately, wolves don't mind raw or spoiling meat and can eat human food too in a pinch.

Archived