Chosen character influences gameplay

ChillPlayer

I am playing currently with the Lady which I rarely do and while musing about why that is, an idea came to my mind: why not let the male and female character have different perks. What I was thinking about in particular was something like:

- If you chose male, you can carry 35KG but your run speed is the normal speed we are used to

- If you chose female, you can carry only 25KG but you run 30% faster.

(or the other way around, it's not about the gender but the different characters)

The numbers are not to be taken literally, they should be balanced against each other with the goal to offer a completely new game experience when one choses the other sex. The system could be extended, female's fatique level rises slower than the males but the male's condition regenerates faster. It could be tuned so far that as a male you play rather a "tanky" character that chooses a stationary home for long periods while the female would be more like a "rogue" character that sleeps and eats where the opportunity presents itself.

For maps like CH the male would be probably more useful, for PV I'd sure want to chose the female. But we have only one choice for all maps so one would've to weight the pros and cons to fits it's play style. What do you think?

I am playing currently with the Lady which I rarely do and while musing about why that is, an idea came to my mind: why not let the male and female character have different perks. What I was thinking about in particular was something like:

- If you chose male, you can carry 35KG but your run speed is the normal speed we are used to

- If you chose female, you can carry only 25KG but you run 30% faster.

The numbers are not to be taken literally, they should be balanced against each other with the goal to offer a completely new game experience when one choses the other sex. The system could be extended, female's fatique level rises slower than the males but the male's condition regenerates faster. It could be tuned so far that as a male you play rather a "tanky" character that chooses a stationary home for long periods while the female would be more like a "rogue" character that sleeps and eats where the opportunity presents itself.

For maps like CH the male would be probably more useful, for PV I'd sure want to chose the female. But we have only one choice for all maps so one would've to weight the pros and cons to fits it's play style. What do you think?

Slippery slope, been done before in other games to the rue of gamers and community. I would strongly advise against it less you be labeled a sexiest developer on your 2nd project, probably not a good way to invite a dev contract for the 3rd project. I don't see why simulating the differences between the sexes to the detriment some some players over others makes any sense.

Your missing the point, it does not have to be male/female, it's about having different characters to chose from that offer different gameplay experience. If sexism is your concerne, create some sort of a class system and let the player chose the gender, as many RPG do it. But that's way ahead of what I was thinking. Easier would be to have 4 characters, 2 male 2 female and tanky/light in both genders.

The advantage of this is: you actually double the game without adding any additional content like maps or wildlife, the devs would have only to introduce several characters/classes. If you ever played a RPG you know that the game experience as a tank is dramatically different than as a magician.

[edit] changed the title of the thread, hope that even you Jay find it politcally correct now :lol:

I don't think different characters would be a good idea, but I'd really love to see more game modes. Specifically, one with everything else difficult (Stalker level maybe), but wildlife acting more naturally, that is, mostly keeping their distance, but attacking if you go after them and get close enough. Actually, that could be really hard as you couldn't rely on wolf meat, because getting it would be a lot harder than it is now.

I don't see why it would be more difficult to hunt for wolves, once you find them you can shoot'em ;) It would only make the game much easier than it is already. Beside that, you can exchange different modes for different characters. The main idea stays: use the same environment but change some mechanics, e.g:

The Hunter - relies solely on animals, finds no food in the environment. Animals fear the hunter and don't attack

The Gatherer - finds everything he needs to survive in the world in constant fear of animal attacks.

The Nomad - travels fast and light, can hide behind trees from animals

The Opportunist - does what ever it takes to survive (the standard mode we already know)

... and so on.

As I said, you can spin this idea how ever deep you like, but I'd love to see the possibility to play the same game in different ways. Because no matter how many maps the game has, in the end you are always following the same routine more or less because it's the only one that works with the abilities you have. They are the defining factor of how you can survive. Give us a choice of abilities and you have different gameplays in the same environment.

I like the idea of having characters who start with different skillsets

- a chef who gains food related bonuses like being able to restore more condition when cooking food, harvest faster from carcasses etc.

- an army reservist who is more proficient with the rifle and survival knife and can carry slightly more

- a writer or poet who lived in a minimalist fashion (bonuses to fire lighting and repair)

- an engineer or whatever background suits crafting bonuses.

Whether these are specific characters in the game or just flavour options for the sandbox game only, it would be a neat addition.

I like the idea of having characters who start with different skillsets

- a chef who gains food related bonuses like being able to restore more condition when cooking food, harvest faster from carcasses etc.

- an army reservist who is more proficient with the rifle and survival knife and can carry slightly more

- a writer or poet who lived in a minimalist fashion (bonuses to fire lighting and repair)

- an engineer or whatever background suits crafting bonuses.

Whether these are specific characters in the game or just flavour options for the sandbox game only, it would be a neat addition.

Interesting suggestions for sure--can't decide if I am for or against. My concern would be that there could be a lot of extra work in balancing each of the characters. (then again, it could be another type of difficulty setting ;) edit: meaning that maybe it is okay if one type of character is harder to play than another)

To be fair, the current background story is that you're a bush pilot. We could debate whether that is a full time position or not.. but, I'd say bush pilot is a full lifestyle, and brings with it a certain skill set.

I don't think different characters would be a good idea, but I'd really love to see more game modes. Specifically, one with everything else difficult (Stalker level maybe), but wildlife acting more naturally, that is, mostly keeping their distance, but attacking if you go after them and get close enough. Actually, that could be really hard as you couldn't rely on wolf meat, because getting it would be a lot harder than it is now.

What I am hearing is what I predicted a few days ago. Some players are really sick of the wolf shit.

Perhaps giving the players different perks and roles based on their skillset would be better than basing it off gender. Otherwise you invite a shitstorm from the Feminazi's who insist that you are oppressing women, even when all you are doing is pointing out different strengths and weaknesses in either gender.

Best thing is to play it safe and keep the genders undifferentiated, because it is not worth the trouble.

Interesting suggestions for sure--can't decide if I am for or against. My concern would be that there could be a lot of extra work in balancing each of the characters. (then again, it could be another type of difficulty setting ;) edit: meaning that maybe it is okay if one type of character is harder to play than another)

To be fair, the current background story is that you're a bush pilot. We could debate whether that is a full time position or not.. but, I'd say bush pilot is a full lifestyle, and brings with it a certain skill set.

The story is for a bush pilot and if that is the default for balancing purposes then any alternate starts would be minor deviations from that base. The chef is arguably the most advantageous as it adds something you can't get from skill building. I don't think the other changes are huge based on the current build.

I'd hope that you could eventually choose a random start location with a number of characters who have different skills, perks and equipment.

I don't see why it would be more difficult to hunt for wolves, once you find them you can shoot'em ;)

Yes, once you find them. That's the snag. I'm playing in Pilgrim at the moment and the only wolf close enough was the one that surprised me at a ridge, coming up from the other side. Otherwise, they've been much too far away. Of course, you don't need wolf meat in Pilgrim, there's so much stuff everywhere, but it shows you what it's like when you can't just step out of the door and shoot a wolf.

What I am hearing is what I predicted a few days ago. Some players are really sick of the wolf shit.

I've been wanting a game mode like that ever since the modes were introduced. After 500 hours (real time) of playing, I can deal with the wolves most of the time, but it's not exciting or fun, it's just "oh shit, not again." I'd like to concentrate on the actual survival with just an occasional threat from the wildlife when either I've been stupid enough to get close or it happens by accident.

Perhaps giving the players different perks and roles based on their skillset would be better than basing it off gender. Otherwise you invite a shitstorm from the Feminazi's who insist that you are oppressing women, even when all you are doing is pointing out different strengths and weaknesses in either gender.

Best thing is to play it safe and keep the genders undifferentiated, because it is not worth the trouble.

So the only reason not to code stereotypes into the game is "Feminazis"? :lol:

Believe me, you do not want them on your tail. They like to harangue developers and ruin studio reputations for there own ego boosts and to feel better about themselves.

Trust me, it is not worth the stick.

My point was that if you make either character of different gender have some advantage over the other, the Feminazis would beat you over the head with their great big media stick, just because they can.

I suspect that the two heroes - men and women for whom we can play - it's part of history. remember the game-movie that looked like a movie trailer? likely plays a man later in the story mode will meet a woman and vice versa - a woman meets a man. can be expected to some romance (judging by the roller as well). so the two heroes and they (I think) different characters and their stories. haha someone might want romance between same-sex characters (as in Dragon Age and Mass Effect 3). maybe it's also worth considering.

Well for starters, have you ever played with the Lady? She moans way more often and freakish loud, I'm constantly jumping just because of her "ouch" - speak about stereotypes. If anyone want's to call the game sexist in any way, they already have enough ammonution. Not to mention that in my experience women can take much more pain, it's the man who cry like babies because of a little cut.

But it's sad that the discussion is constantly steered back to sexism - this was not the point of the thread!

I don't want women portraid als weak or something, I even edited the initial post to make this aboundandly clear. It's about having the ability to play the same game with different mechanics and as we currently only have the chance to chose between a woman and a man it was obvious to me to use them as an example. Let us chose between Elf and Ork for all I care, just let them have different perks ;)

I always choose the lady and she hardly ever moans - maybe you two should treat her better! ;p

@topic:

I'm not quite sure how to explain different "classes" story-wise... maybe there could be 4-5 characters to choose from with different body shapes and professions (as it was suggested before).

It would somehow make sense that a muscular lumberjack has different advantages/disadvantages (and thus favors a different playstyle) than a skinny engineer/scientist.

The current male and female character could stay as they are as "balanced" archetypes while the other characters would have somehow different features.

(The lumberjack might for example need 500 more calories/day, get a tiny cold-bonus and be more efficient when fighting wolves in melee combat).

well well maybe I just like her moans :)

on the subject ... there are several ways to create a character in games (add, if I forgot something).

1. System rpg-games where you can choose a class hero (elf, dwarf, orc, etc. - elf shoots better, the other wears heavy armor and ax).

2. The system is more complicated settings in the game Sims (here for the character and setting of various features of the hero)

3. The choice of profession and allied with her stories (Selected for each profession has its own story of character development - it is very difficult, a lot of work, but the game turns out incredibly interesting and it can be played in different ways several times).

4. Well and ready characters (most likely team chose this way - two characters, a man and a woman, each with its own personal history).

There's another possibility I haven't seen in this thread yet, it's in keeping with the dev's original design, and it might satisfy most players. First let the player choose a male or female voice. Second let them choose the perks or archetype or skills regardless of the voice.

I think there are several approaches mentioned in this thread so far that could work (without raising sexist alarms):

1. Current - Male or female, same skill set

2. Several characters, some male, some female, different skill sets (based on background occupation/lifestyle!)

3. Several character types, each with male or female options, characters with different skill sets, no skill difference between genders

It would be kind of neat if these could be worked in, perhaps introduced in the story mode to unlock in sandbox?

Certainly I could see how it would fit that the one bush pilot is not the lone survivor :)

Anyway, this is a pretty important core part of the game, so I guess it depends where the devs want to go with it. I am excited to find out, given how much I've enjoyed the sandbox so far.

Apologies for steering the topic into the troubled waters of the equality argument.

I prefer playing as Anna because she has better voice acting, in my opinion. Her voice brings across her perspective of the environment and situation in a more convincing manner than Will does.

It would be interesting to see if you could have camera views set at different heights though, because from the silhouettes in the selection screen, Anna is slightly shorter than Will (this may be an optical illusion however, since the selection menu is staggered )

I prefer playing as Anna because she has better voice acting, in my opinion. Her voice brings across her perspective of the environment and situation in a more convincing manner than Will does.

it seems we all play a female character. :)

(Perhaps I choose a woman also because she is more convincing). maybe we need to ask the devs to make that man suffer greatly :)?

Nope I don't, my playstyle requires me to run along steep slopes a lot and she's constantly moaning very loudly, I'm jumping from my chair just because of her "Ahh, Uhh" lol.

Besides that, the 3 times I played with the Lady I died at day 85 or 86, don't know why she doesn't want to live longer, I wouldn't mind - but somehow her fate seems to fixed in my games around day 85. Therefor, serious attempts on long surviving I only do with the male char :D

Nope I don't, my playstyle requires me to run along steep slopes a lot and she's constantly moaning very loudly, I'm jumping from my chair just because of her "Ahh, Uhh" lol.

it seems this is the real difference between them. And she is shaking and chattering teeth when freezes very realistic. I do not remember, does this man :)

Archived