EDIT: Enhanced weather & buildings

Virago

Greetings to the forum!

I would like hailstorm / rain added to the weather conditions...

Imagine how cool would sound indoors and hitting onto the windows :D

EDIT: While staying indoors on the abandoned lookout i have been thinking about how much realistic is to actually open and close the door and also been able to look outside through the windows. The other buildings just feel like a sandbox inside a sandbox to me.

I'm not an astrologer but I think rain would be hard because of the outside temperature?

Hail would be realistic, should you get damage when walking or running when it's hailing outside? I mean, if it is large hail and hit you in the head you would surely get hurt in real life..

Electrix, I'm not sure how much of an effect star signs have on the weather, but hail and freezing rain would be great additions, especially for the spring episode (if that happens)

Hah. Touché.. I meant astronomer (weather-guy?). But I agree, especially hail would be cool.

It would be cool if your sleep (if sleeping outdoors) could get interrupted by hail hitting you while sleeping lol. Also, when it hails, it makes (very) loud noises when the hail hits the roof of house. when the character is in a trailer, it should make VERY loud noises when the hail bangs against the roof of trailer. However wikipedia says, "Sleet falls generally in cold weather while hail growth is greatly inhibited at cold temperatures." Inhibited means lessened or restrained. Sleet is freezing rain (kind of). Also, "Metal roofs are fairly resistant to hail damage, but may accumulate cosmetic damage in the form of dents and damaged coatings." If hail can dent a metal roof, it can kill a human.

More than anything, the enhancement I'd like to see is local variable weather.

Imagine if you left the Jackrabbit Island cabin and headed towards the Coastal Townsite by crossing the frozen lake. Directly in front of you would be the slope of the ridge. Now, I think it would be really awesome, both graphically and from a gameplay standpoint, if you could look up and see that there is a blizzard rolling down the mountain-side toward you. So you're not in in yet, but you know it's going to hit the townsite soon. Do you try to get to your destination before the storm hits, or do you turn back? Do you even have enough time to get back to the cabin where you started before getting caught in the storm?

I think this would add an amazing sense of tension to the game, because now the player is forced to make a choice - keep moving forward, try to get home, or hunker down someplace nearby and try to weather the storm.

*Photos for reference of the kind of terror an approaching storm might bring, if you *know* you don't have time to get to shelter.

buffalo1.jpg

buffalo2.jpg

buffalo3.jpg

*Photos for reference of the kind of terror an approaching storm might bring, if you *know* you don't have time to get to shelter.

Terror? more like unholy terror, but if youve ever been outside when a blizzard or fog bank rolls in its alot like that, but much faster

• 3 weeks later...

While staying indoors on the abandoned lookout i have been thinking about how much realistic is to actually open and close the door and also been able to look outside through the windows. The other buildings just feel like a sandbox inside a sandbox to me.

I think the reason we can't see out the windows while inside most buildings is so they can use a stylized representation of the building while you're outside, and then an expanded interior when you're inside. Otherwise, with the current size of the buildings, it'd be really really tiny when you go inside.

While we're on the subject of weather: Something that I doubt will be added but would be interesting if it was....Ever wake up to what sounds like a rifle shot right next to your ear? Go outside the next morning and notice a nearby tree had a foot long crack in its truck from where it exploded from the inside out?

Now imagine that happening ingame while you're sleeping at night and walking around to see trees down (maybe even with some collectible wood around). Purely cosmetic, but it happens when it's cold enough out.

yeah that occurs with some species of tree (crack willow) and trees which get so cold that their sap freezes. When this happens the ice crystals apply a lot of pressure on the lignin fibres within the tree. When these break, the energy is released in a massive burst of kinetic energy that throws shards and splinters several feet. Hence the 'rifle crack', and you do not want to be nearby when it happens. In the case of crack willow. It doesn't explode, it just splits for some reason.

What I would love to see is overhead cloud formations that foreshadow oncoming weather.

Thick low stratus clouds would indicate incoming snowfall.

Light anvil clouds would indicate incoming blizzards, dark anvil clouds would indicate a thunderstorm. High cirrus clouds would indicate wind later

I think the reason we can't see out the windows while inside most buildings is so they can use a stylized representation of the building while you're outside, and then an expanded interior when you're inside. Otherwise, with the current size of the buildings, it'd be really really tiny when you go inside.

The implementation of a functional door is a game changer and if that forces to reinstate buildings to their original size, be it so.

I really don't get the point of making them smaller anyway...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived