Seeded games

octavian

I have mentioned speedrunning in this thread and it's obvious that the only inconvenience is the RNG. People speedrun RNG regardless but I have an idea.

People will speedrun story mode, without a doubt, but what about sandbox, how do you speedrun that. In-game stats of course, that's why that topic gave me the idea.

So, seeded games. This does two things. One, people can speedrun the "official" speedrunning seed. Two, somebody posts a seed in the forums and people join in playing the same item/building RNG.

Thoughts?

I'm curious what the point would be for a "speed run", when in sandbox, the whole idea is to survive as long as possible? Or would this be the opposite, and we could have official "survival run" seeds?

I think that could be a lot of fun - post a new seed after each new version of the game comes out (about once per month), and everyone can play through the same map together and compare notes and swap survival stories.

I'm curious what the point would be for a "speed run", when in sandbox, the whole idea is to survive as long as possible?

Challenge and fun. If you like speedrunning of course. I've been trying since forever for a better time.

[spoil]

So speedruning is who can find the cliff / wolf / bear the fastest? Or if it's just faster to take off all your clothes and freeze? Personally, that doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

Fastest time to visit all interiors, first person to craft a bow, or even better, successfully hunt with it, first person to get fully crafted gear (boots, pants, jacket, gloves), or even just a race: Spawn at the Vista, first person to make it to the Farmhouse wins.

Or a set course, Spawn at Vista, record your times at each of the following: Forestry Lookout, Homestead, Camp Office, Dam, Gas Station, Misanthropes', Jackrabbit Island, Abandoned Lookout, Crossroads, Farmhouse!

I understand what you are saying about the RNG, and how it makes it impossible to compare apples to apples. I would love to see this happen, especially the overland races and the crafting challenges.

Speedrunning is fastest whatever you personally want to. Everybody runs whatever category is enjoyable for them. At the moment, shortest survival time is the only one available. It's the only thing the game keeps track of. Sure you could do it now, run whatever you want, but IGTs and end-game stats are always nicer.

Fastest time to visit all interiors, first person to craft a bow, or even better, successfully hunt with it, first person to get fully crafted gear (boots, pants, jacket, gloves), or even just a race: Spawn at the Vista, first person to make it to the Farmhouse wins.

Or a set course, Spawn at Vista, record your times at each of the following: Forestry Lookout, Homestead, Camp Office, Dam, Gas Station, Misanthropes', Jackrabbit Island, Abandoned Lookout, Crossroads, Farmhouse!

The game can't do all these, unless you want the end-game stats to be massive, if you want to run them you'd have to time it yourself, so have splits and record the run. The game keeping track of when you enter such-and-such interior seems a bit over the top for me. But then again that's just me.

Fastest time to visit all interiors it can do, if the end-game stats keep track of visited interiors/number of interiors and time survived.

Fastest time to craft all recipes it can do, if the end-game stats keep track of crafted recipes/number of recipes and time survived.

So you'd craft all recipes then kill yourself as fast as you can and that's the run, you post a screenshot of the end-game stats as proof if you don't want or can't record the run.

Archived