I want back old clock time

Denyo

I played right now my new run in new update.I must say I am impressed with al new contents,I encountered till now and I find with most of them quite challenging.But,there is one thing,which realy heavily bothers me and it ruined my strategy and enjoyement in playing game.It is new clock time change.

I must say this new clock system bothers me that much,that I realy must complain.I simply cannot figure out,which part of day or night there is,as most of time interface shows to me only "????" hours left of daytime/nightime,as it can be seen in attachement.I would realy rather have,that there would not be any clock time system at all,than this new annoying one.I am quite experienced player,but this realy confused me so much and I cannot plan any steps ahead.

I don`t know,what will others say,but for me this clock system is very big mistake.Otherwise all other contents of update are awesome and I am excited with them.Just,this clock system makes my playing not enjoyable.

Sorry,guys...you know I deeply respect all your work and efforts,but this...I simply cannot play like this.

I will go back in game and try to play some more,but,if this will annoy me more,then I will just stop playing game.Don`t get me wrong,I am not crying coz of that,coz I am used to many tough situations in game,but this system realy broke all game systematic approach and excitements.

2015-04-01_00001.thumb.jpg.747378fce33df

• Hinterland

You should only see the ??? when you are in the fog or a blizzard, such that you can't tell what time of day it is just from the natural light.

Other than that, expressing the amount of hours of daylight or night shouldn't affect your experience too much, other than that you can plan around daytime (when there is light, it's not as cold, and there is less hostile wildlife), and night time (when all the opposite things are true).

How has the removal of the precise clock affected your experience negatively?

Give it another day.

??? of hours of nighttime left

and

??? of hours of daylight left

I think are due to you not being able to see the sun or moon. The sun and moon in the sky are at an angle when visible, if it is morning, you can tell how many hours about until noon by seeing about how many degrees there are until you hit the highest point with the sun in the sky. Same thing for afternoon.

Each hour is about 15 degrees. There are 360 degrees and 24 hours per day, if you divide 360 by 24, you get 15, sun and moon rotate in the sky about 15 degrees per hour.

When is says daylight, it means it is daytime, when it says nighttime it is nighttime.

The "????" of hours were appearing without any rule.When it was blizzard wholle night,it appeared when I went to sleep for 4 hrs.When I woke up,blizzard was still ongoing,but clock now said exact number of hours left of dark.During day it was sunny,and clock time changed several times from exact time of daylight to "????".No matter,if I was inside the building or outside.It was various,not affected by weather,Raph.

And,how this new system affected my playing? I learned alot from dieing and I had strategy for dayly and night activities,according to day time.Also traveling arround specyfic areas was according to what time it was.Foraging,fishing,etc...all activities were somehow planned by time of day.It was not always safe,but still was able to be planable for ahead.

If that "????" is glitched and should only showed during fog and blizzard...then I can still give it a try and gather more experience with this new clock system.After all,with more experience with it,I will be able to give better judgment and specify more clear,what exactly bothers with this clock system.And ,maybe get more clear wiew,how it hinders my gameplay.

I enjoy the realism of not knowing what time it really is, would like to see the clock completely removed. Not sure it really works in its current implementation during foraging and cutting meat off animals, I also don't know about how if we get food poisoning we'll know when we've hit 10 hours, I suppose if that meter in the health thing keeps track of hours sleeping then it wont matter. It just seems like another good check box for realism if and when the tiered difficulty levels split and players can choose if they want to see a clock or not.

To be entirely honest, I use "approximate hours of sunlight left" instead of an actual "24 hour" clock when I am out in the woods. It just makes things easier because, even with a lantern, there is rarely anything worth staying up past sunset anyways.

To tell approximate time using the sun, take your hand and measure how many "hands" it takes you to cover between the sun and the horizon. Each "fingers worth" of space is approximately 15 minutes of sunlight. However, in northern locations (and southern, as well), the sun will stay close to the horizon longer, so this method isn't as accurate.

I am wearing an analogue watch (IRL) and I am not sure if the clock generator would be affected by such an electromagnetic incident. However I really like the realism that is being added by removing the in-game clock. I am using the clock permanently and not only for harvesting or foraging. I also use it when I leave the house, encounter a wolf, go back in and wait for approx.... 20 min.

My suggestion to Hinterland is: Remove the clock in Stalker mode. The player has to orientate himself using the sun. In addition to that the player can find useful hints how to estimate the current time by reading the books that are found every now and then. e.g. the trick with the four fingers between the sun and the horizon (Boston123) and maybe there is an animal that makes a specific sound just 1 hours before sunset. All this information can be learned by reading books.

About the clock, I actually really like the new way.

I think this could be even pushed a bit harder, with no indication at all except the actual gfx, which are pretty clear.

I aggree with the idea above : This could be linked to the difficulty mode: stalker = no clock at all

I have not been able to play since the new system was implemented but I always thought the presence of the clock made the game a bit to easy. Knowing exactly how much time I have lets me plan activities accordingly. Having an approximate hours X of daylight left or X hours of darkness should be sufficient. If the character wants to take a few minutes to orient themselves and get a better judge of the time, then I could see getting a better reading. That said, I think the whole idea of time gets tossed out of the window with the fall of civilization, or your players fall from it.

Well...I played game today again and it seems that uncontrolling apearance of "????" is removed now.Now is realy showed only during fog and blizzard.

I just changed abit my strategy and adapted to new circumstances in game.Now wildlife behavior somehow just fit into this new time system,so...I kinda started to enjoy it. :) With setting as it is atm,I started to feel it like challenge and I started yet to understand it.

So...I would like this clock experiment stays in game.I would like now to gain experience with it and then post my observations.I guess it was first impression and the fact that it was glitched,which made me confused and lost in game.

I confirm,Rapf...let it stay this experimental for a whille,so we can give better feedback.

About the clock, I actually really like the new way.

I think this could be even pushed a bit harder, with no indication at all except the actual gfx, which are pretty clear.

I aggree with the idea above : This could be linked to the difficulty mode: stalker = no clock at all

Whoa great idea, or make it a selectable thing, 24 hour clock, relative clock, or no clock!

Awesome.

First pro impression,after playing today for 4 hrs(in real time) :

What I like at "????" is that it shows me,when is blizzard or fog outside,so i don`t need to step out to check weather conditions.

Other pro thing is,that I use clock less and less,but rather observe sun,observe and listen to wildlife.In areas,where I do pass often,I use shadows of certain trees.I mark the place,where shadow of a tree shows aprox noon(12.00 a.m.) with wood.This way I can get aprox time of the day,when there is no sun,but still enough bright,that objects has shadows.

Personally, didn't like the absence of the clock at first and now agree on all the positive points posted. Previously it was an easy 9.00 PM lights out, now you are forced to calculate against that time.

Game is better for it IMO..

• 3 weeks later...
I want the old clock back. It's implausible that the player does not have some time keeping instrument, any simple mechanic alarm clock would do.

Unlikely perhaps, but not implausible (personally I haven't worn a watch in over 30 years) :?

I also want the old speed of the game back. I played a lot in ~v1.6 and it was imo perfect. I regret someone decided it had to change.

Devs choice based on what they need for the game, and wider range of players... My personal speed favorite was back around v.012 which was a very realistic pace and time rate, although most players would find it too slow (plus there was no marathon running). :)

Ok...I did play enough long in this new clock system,so I can give final feedback.

You know,most important conclusion,I got to,whille playing game, is that we do not need any specyfic time shower at all.Playing game with this new system in fact opened my eyes.It is not important at all,what exact time I do any tasks,traveling,scavening,foraging,etc...It is enough,that I know,when is aprox new day raising and when is dusk about to fall to Earth.Simple as that.

I realised now yet,that I made my decisions not according the exact time of the day,but according to conditions outside.If it is sunny day,I can go traveling far,I don`t need heavy clothes on me,I know,what to expect.When it is bad weather,better to do indoors tasks and rest. It is just like in real life.

Other thing is,that day- night cycles are repetative.Observing nature,and taking it as natural markers,indicators,can help to remember approximate periods of cycle.I will give an example from real life: If we go to work every day at same time and set our alarm clock at same time for every day,after whille waking up at alarm becomes our natural habit.We start waking up before alarm clok starts.Because we remember.Our brains,our body remembers,when needs to wake up.We simply KNOW.

And that is,why we,in fact,do not need clock at all.Especially when our cycles are based only on primitive tasks: eat,drink,sleep,get warm,...survive.

So,I support this experimental time system to stay.Even more...in my oppinion it would not change anything,if it would be completely removed.Nature in game,itself,offers just enough indicators,that we can sail trough day-night cycles and successfull adapt to enviroment.We can survive without watch.And survival in this game is most important.

Thanks for the follow-up feedback, Denyo. It's always interesting to see the process behind why someone comes around to another way of thinking. I think you're taking the right message away from the experimental system. We'll see how it evolves in the future :)

I do think that keeping approximate time is very important and in rl we could make our own time keeping devices (for example pendulums), use the sun/stars, bird songs and many other things. Perhaps we can even learn to use cues in the game (shadows?). That would be a new approach if it is decided that timekeeping stays the way it is.

The game negates that humans have a reliable internal clock. I found I can determine to wake up at 7am and wake up almost exactly at that time, or on other days I wake up a few minutes before my alarm will go off. Our internal clock in the game should tell us at least "early afternoon", not "?? hours of daylight".

@Bill Tarling

That you dont wear a wristwatch is a matter of your personal style, but it would become very important if your life depends on it. Admittedly most of my wristwatches are electronic, but how improbable is it to to not find several of those in rural Canada? There would also be many grandfather and cuckoo watches in those old huts that should not be affected by electric changes.

@Burning Bridges - I agree... I only made the comment because the the choice of wording of "implausible", not because I necessarily agreed or disagreed with the old vs. new time version. :)

Personally I prefer the newer estimated time, mainly because it seemed unnatural to use the exact time clock display as a means to calculate every action easily... and I also like that the "???" time remaining can really mess you up losing track of time [freaked me out the first time, but then I started to rely on other ways of judging what time I had left]... made it a little more variable for whether or not to venture out or complete tasks. :o

English is not my first language, but with "implausible" I mean that is is not plausible to me that we ended up in world without simple, reliable mechanic timekeeping instruments.

I also feel very strongly that humans simply know long much an hour is and that the new mechanics blur this in an unecessary way, so that we must end up in crazy situations :D Or would anywone forget how many time has passed since he woke up? In the game this happens all the time, with the many accelerated activities.

Besides, many aspect in the game are not in sync with the new philosophy, like the robot like, minute perfect fire or forage, harvest and repair and sleep timers, but I guess these will all be removed presently :lol:

Archived