The Ravine is the most unfair place in the game

ChillPlayer

I went into the Ravine to cross over to Mystery Lake and was welcomed by a blizzard. Okay, let's try to set a fire inside the tunnel - works. Cooked me some dinner, blizzard was still ongoing when the fire went off. I checked my temperature, I wasn't getting colder, so I decided to go to sleep for 2 hours in hope the blizzard will finally die off. Well, BIG MISTAKE, during my sleep I was attacked by a wolf :shock: Although I managed to fight him off, it wounded me so severely that I died 2 seconds later, after 80 Days of happy living :cry:

Where the frack did this wolf come from? There is only the bridge in the ravine and practically vertical cliffs to the ground, I crossed the bridge at least a dozen times and never ever saw or heared a wolf. This is just unfair, are Wolfs created by blizzards or do they have super powers in the Ravine, defying gravity and all laws of physics? I would never camp on flat ground in the other two places but there simply is no physically possible way for a wolf to appear ontop of the bridge in the Ravine, so I thought I can risk it. Seriously, to end a very good run that could've lasted at least another 50 days in this way just sucks :evil:

Where the frack did this wolf come from? There is only the bridge in the ravine and practically vertical cliffs to the ground, I crossed the bridge at least a dozen times and never ever saw or heared a wolf. This is just unfair, are Wolfs created by blizzards or do they have super powers in the Ravine, defying gravity and all laws of physics? I would never camp on flat ground in the other two places but there simply is no physically possible way for a wolf to appear ontop of the bridge in the Ravine, so I thought I can risk it. Seriously, to end a very good run that could've lasted at least another 50 days in this way just sucks :evil:

Not unfair - the ravine connects to the tunnels and maps at both ends, so quite fair that there's a chance wolves would follow the same path you did to get to the Ravine if you're going to sleep there...

Not unfair - the ravine connects to the tunnels and maps at both ends, so quite fair that there's a chance wolves would follow the same path you did to get to the Ravine if you're going to sleep there...

lol you are right, I never thought of that. Guess I was thinking to much in game terms, it didn't cross my mind that in RL there is no loading screen between the worlds :oops: Well as you said, lesson learned ;)

lol you are right, I never thought of that. Guess I was thinking to much in game terms, it didn't cross my mind that in RL there is no loading screen between the worlds :oops: Well as you said, lesson learned ;)

Still not completely fair. If wolves would come through the tunnels, why don't they ever do so when you're awake? I've not heard of anyone encountering a wolf in the Ravine while awake, it would be a huge coincidence they would just happen to do so when you go to sleep.

Also, the OP was going to Mystery Lake and walked into a blizzard when arriving at the Ravine. That means he was in the tunnel connecting to Coastal Highway and I've never seen a wolf anywhere near entrance to the Ravine on Coastal Highway.

I actually think this has nothing to do with a wolf actually coming by and attacking but the mechanism for being attacked while sleeping outside just conjures up a wolf out of thin air (or maybe thick air if there's a blizzard going on) when it decides it's time for you to be attacked for sleeping outside.

Interesting, I never thought that wolves can appear there. Did anyone do any !science! on wolves in Ravine? For example, what happens if you make a wolf follow you from Mysterious Lake to Ravine? Will the wolf change maps as well? Does wolves "migrate" on macro level when the time is accelerated? Not the physical model of the wolf, but some "wolf instance" that is moved around the maps without the player? How much is conscious time acceleration (cooking) different from unconscious time acceleration (sleeping) regarding wolf movements?

Come to think of it, I once had a wolf on my tail when going to the Ravine. It was rather close as it detected me near the dam and I was encumbered so I was moving slower. After transitioning to the Ravine I never saw it again. I didn't stay around waiting for it to appear obviously, but considering how close it was I think I'd have noticed it if it had followed me.

That's what I would expect too. I don't think the game mechanics allows them to change locations. But I don't know what happens to wolf AI when you change the locations or enter the building. If you see a wolf, enter a building and immediately get back out, is the wolf in the exact same place? Same thing with the location? It will be fun to understand the AI of wolves a bit more, I might need to do some test when I get home :)

I don't know about changing maps, but when you go inside the wolves will continue on their path as they would have when you stayed outside (if they haven't spotted you). If you spot a wolf but it hasn't seen you and you go inside and back outside, it will be where you'd expect it to be, just about where it was when you entered. If you spend some time inside and then go back outside, you'll see the wolf has continued on his path by about the same distance as it would have if you'd stayed outside.

I do know that there waiting for you outside the ravine when they spotted you a little earlier. I walked from the ravine to mystery lake > got spotted by the wolf that patrols the trainbridge there and ran back to the Ravine. When I came out again it was still there( not sure anymore if I waited). Logical maybe but for some reason I assumed it wouldn't be.

Maybe if I waited or did something else in the Ravine it would have followed?

• 2 weeks later...

I've never encountered a wolf or slept in the ravine, but I can attest to having slept outside for many many nights in a fishing hut on the water of Coastal Highway and I was never attacked by a wolf in my sleep, so simply sleeping outdoors can't just have a random chance to spawn a wolf attack in the middle of your sleep. Perhaps this is a mechanic put in place for the purpose of preventing the player from using the ravine area as a safe refuge from wolves?

You are save inside a fishing hut from wolves anyway, but it can happen that a wolf detects you and will be stalking you outside the hut.

But I am pretty sure that blizzards can spawn wolves even at the most unlikely locations. In my current stalker run I was bunker hunting near western access in ML, way above everything, near the top mountains and not easy to get there. When the blizzard hit I crawled between two ice rocks and made a fire. It held so I began an hourly sleep, on the second hour I've got attacked twice by the same wolf. See log below and try to imagine the drama I was in lol.

My point is though, I've never seen a wolf anywhere near that high above and I am pretty sure that, would it not have been for the blizzard, there'd have been no wolf. There must be some mechanic spawning wolves when trying to sleep through a blizzard outside, I've no other explaination.

Once I've finished this run I'll test it, or maybe someone else wants to?

Here's the log, enjoy - I have it on video too, will cut it when the run's finished ;)

Day 16:

10:35 Discovered Mystery Lake (Western Access).

11:36 Went to sleep. (blizzard)

12:36 Woke up after sleeping 1 hour

12:38 Went to sleep.

13:06 Interrupted by wolf during sleep! Had been sleeping for 27 minutes

13:06 Wolf attack!

13:08 Experiencing significant blood loss.

13:08 At risk for infected wound.

13:09 Wolf attack!

13:09 Killed a Wolf

13:09 Experiencing significant blood loss.

13:09 At risk for infected wound.

13:36 Started fire.

14:16 Sprained ankle.

14:41 Freezing

14:47 Discovered Mystery Lake.

The wolf spawning doesn't have anything to do with the blizzard, but with sleeping outside. It seems that sleeping outside (or in a fishing hut) simply has a chance of getting attacked by a wolf. It doesn't seem to take into account if there are actually wolves in the area or not.

Archived