The wolves situation?

xnoybis

Just wondering if anyone finds the wolves situation getting out of hand a little bit?

I love 95% of the new update to bits, major improvements on all fronts, except for that 5% being wolves stalking every corner.

I started in the new region, quite a bit from the coastal town, managed to evade one or two wolves on my way there.

Once there though I started going house to house scavenging. And I found myself being forced to spend day or two at each house just waiting for the coast to be clear again (no gun). I've had 3-4 wolves in sight at the same time on a number of occasions and quite often I would find two wolves just waiting right outside the house (got attacked and killed by two not two steps from the door). I would then perform a tactical retreat, harvest or forage inside, take a nap, check again. Sometimes it seemed like they haven't even moved. I would eventually see a chance and go for it and find a wolf running at me when I'm half way from the next house. I managed to clear 4 or 5 houses but paid for it with a wolf attack almost every single time (flares don't make much of a difference anymore). Now I have no antiseptic left and any long-term plans I might have had at the beginning of the play-through are now out the window (even if I have plenty of antibiotics).

One thing I found surprising is the amount of food and supplies in that town. I can pretty much afford to live off whatever I find in the houses for probably close to two weeks. Still, I'd like to go exploring this new beautiful region, but it seems I'm starring in the new Predator movie as the main course.

If I can use this slightly daft analogy, I'd hate for this game to go from Don't Starve (or Freeze) to Wolfenstein 3D - a wolf evasion/combat simulator ;) I considered the game's main theme to be scarcity and urgency, now after few hours playing it seems like it's a wolf apocalypse - it may just as well be a balancing issues and I hope so, as I'm loving every other aspect of the new update. Anyone having a similar experience?

EDIT: went back to playing after posting this and was attacked three times in 60 seconds when crossing to the tallest house in town, I'm amazed I'm at 49% and not 0% right now.

I haven't been to the town yet, mostly out in the open, but i also feel there are loads of wolves. The few times i couldn't avoid the wolves, throwing my flare at them always helped. But i agree, wolves really are an omnipresent menace. Perhaps it's meant to be a feature of the new map.

I agree. I was at the Fishing Camp in the new area and there were at least eight wolves around that area of the lake alone! One thing I love about the Long Dark is that wolves were a real, but not ridiculous threat. I have to say, it feels pretty ridiculous atm. :P

Completely agree... the wolves are crazy dominant on the new map, a situation that is made even worse by how impossible it is to find a rifle. I wouldn't mind as much if the likelihood of finding a rifle was higher (wolves provide a loads of meat), but with no rifle, the coastal town is pretty much off limits as a place of refuge.

Completely agree... the wolves are crazy dominant on the new map, a situation that is made even worse by how impossible it is to find a rifle. I wouldn't mind as much if the likelihood of finding a rifle was higher (wolves provide a loads of meat), but with no rifle, the coastal town is pretty much off limits as a place of refuge.

I just picked up the rifle from the Mystery Lake map first...

I'm wrapping things up for today. Got killed by a three wolf death squad on day 14, as I was slowly making my way from the new region to Mistery Lake having killed a wolf in self-defense earlier that day. Noticed another lone wolf and was trying to evade him, he noticed me and started the attack (at that point I was at 90% condition). Got him off me, half a second later out of nowhere a second wolf jumped me, probably from behind, threw him off as well, but at that point I was at around 20% - he got me for -35% damage (usually they get me for 5-10%, so he sure applied himself). And then a third one, that - I don't know - must have been sitting on the nearby roof watching the proceedings - finished me off before I could catch a breath. That must have been one hell of a geomagnetic storm, making wolves breed like, say, rabbits.

I for one accept our new wolf overlords, until they're rightfully nerfed that is.

I think this got completely out of hand, who thought this game is fun with so many wolves?

Loaded my savegame 30 minutes ago, just walk a few meters and there was a wolf at my food depot, and I can not eat before I kill him. Another one has discovered Trappers Homestead and had already killed a deer right in front of it. I hadn't found a carcass close to Trappers Homestead and in 60 days and now 1 in 2h.

I am close to putting the game aside because this is stupid.

Less is more! ->Less deer ->Less wolfes

Not more or the game becomes a frantic pace betweem escaping wolfes and an overabundance of meat from the carcasses they leave behind. I have only a few rifle rounds, and I cannot afford to shoot a dozen wolves every day and then leave their meat for the crows.

This is a bit hard to understand because it was ok before the update. I could imagine that increasing the wolves by 2x would have been beneficial to the game, but at the moment it feels like they have multiplied 10x, and become more aggressive too.

Archived