Infinity Fire

selfless

So my previous goal was to have a home with a fire burning 24 hours a day for basically, ever. New wood gathering mechanics have probably killed this as a daily task and made it more a once and a while kinda thing. Except:

- When a fire is sufficiently large (has more than 20 minutes life remaining), a torch can be removed from it at the cost of diminishing the fire's life by 20 minutes.

- Said torch can then be harvested for one reclaimed lumber. Process takes 2 minutes.

- Reclaimed lumber can then be put back into fire, adding 30 minutes to the life.

- Fire life has grown by 8 minutes. Repeat, ad infinitum.

*** FREE FIRE! ***

EDIT: Or pull a free torch out of any fire for every 3 iterations for infinite torches.

My favorite now is throw 50 sticks in a fire, get super warm super fast, then pull out 10 torches and carry one still lit with me to light the next bundle of sticks.

And whenever you have a fire going you can toss your old reclaimed torches in and pull out fresh ones...

Wooooooo, FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I does look like this needs some correcting. Four possible solutions.

Quickest - remove the take torch function from the game

Better - increase the time removed from the fire to something like 40 min or an hour, this would prevent the infinite fire exploit, but would still leave the ability to make torches without cloth or kerosene.

Better Still - increase the time as above, but also make the new torch start at 20%. This way it has only a fraction of the run time of a brand new torch (made with a workbench, cloth and kerosene)

Best - Leave the fire time reduction at 20 min. Change the "take torch" to something similar, lets call it "take burning stick". The burning stick works just like a torch, but only has a burn time of 5 min (instead of whatever time an actual torch has), cannot be reignited, and when harvested, only returns a stick. I believe this would solve both the "free torch" issue, and the infinite fire issue.

Got back to playing Long Dark after the update and am loving it. Currently day 41.

I found something that can be abused and needs fixing. :D

You can take torches out of fires for 10m of the duration. However, torches can be harvested into reclaimed wood with a harvest time of 2m. Reclaimed wood put back into the fire for 30m more burn time. Potentially 18m extra burn time for literally a few clicks of the button.

Found this out after spending the night out in a blizzard and fiddling with the fire a lot. Accidents do lead to interesting discoveries.

[EDIT] Looks like it's been posted already, my bad.

Archived