#482 Mouse jumps to the left and up when exiting inventory

lore-nmj

Just tested on v.124.

At very low resolution on my MAC:

1. open any inventory screen

2. click on any item (it doesn't happen if I don't click an item)

3. then close my inventory screen. I will be looking directly at whatever I was right before I opened the inventory screen.

4. then, if I move my mouse in any direction..

Result: the mouse jumps to left and up a significant amount maybe 200+ pixels. Very disorienting.

In full screen it is worse.

At 640x480 and full screen, every time I do this and close my inventory screen I am looking straight up.

I have captured a video, but not uploaded it to any service. I open several inventory screen and then wait, then move my mouse and you can see within a single frame my mouse has jumped a few hundred pixels left and up. always left and up.

• 3 months later...
Is this still an active issue?

Yes, this is still an issue as of v183 (on Max OS X 10.9.5).

It works like this:

As soon as you enter any menu (tested with Survival Panel, Inventory, Pause menu), the mouse movement still gets tracked but not applied to the characters orientation yet. As soon as you exit out of the menu, and then move the mouse for the smallest amount, all the mouse movements you made whilst in the menu get applied all at once, and the crosshair jumps to that final position.

Therefore: If you enter and exit a menu using the respective keyboard shortcut and don't move your mouse before exiting again, the crosshair doesn't jump.

It seems that the crosshair always moves in the opposite direction of where you move whilst in the menu. Meaning, if I move the mouse to the left whilst in the menu, the cursor snaps to the right after exiting it. If I move it up in the menu, it snaps down afterwards. And if "Invert Y" is turned on, it snaps down after moving down in the menu.

So it doesn't always jump to the top left, but because the "Back" button is on the lower right, and you start with your mouse pointer centered in the menu, that's what happens for most people.

Usually it's just an annoyance you kind of get used to, but in situations where timing or precise movement matters (wolf attacks, dangerous terrain, ...) this can become a game-breaking bug, as seen in this video where Stacy falls to her death (0:47) because of this (partly at least ;)).

I'm pretty sure she also plays on Mac OS X, so this seems to be a platform specific issue.

Is this still an active issue?

Yes, this is still an issue as of v183 (on Max OS X 10.9.5).

It works like this:

As soon as you enter any menu (tested with Survival Panel, Inventory, Pause menu), the mouse movement still gets tracked but not applied to the characters orientation yet. As soon as you exit out of the menu, and then move the mouse for the smallest amount, all the mouse movements you made whilst in the menu get applied all at once, and the crosshair jumps to that final position.

Therefore: If you enter and exit a menu using the respective keyboard shortcut and don't move your mouse before exiting again, the crosshair doesn't jump.

It seems that the crosshair always moves in the opposite direction of where you move whilst in the menu. Meaning, if I move the mouse to the left whilst in the menu, the cursor snaps to the right after exiting it. If I move it up in the menu, it snaps down afterwards. And if "Invert Y" is turned on, it snaps down after moving down in the menu.

So it doesn't always jump to the top left, but because the "Back" button is on the lower right, and you start with your mouse pointer centered in the menu, that's what happens for most people.

Usually it's just an annoyance you kind of get used to, but in situations where timing or precise movement matters (wolf attacks, dangerous terrain, ...) this can become a game-breaking bug, as seen in this video where Stacy falls to her death (0:47) because of this (partly at least ;)).

I'm pretty sure she also plays on Mac OS X, so this seems to be a platform specific issue.

it indeed seems to be a problem just on Mac, cause on PC it's fine (at least for me)

And it just happens every time in Stacy's video's, it's not only annoying, you're also kinda disoriented, which can make a huge difference when you're high up

Or if you're in a snow storm with low visibility and no landmarks around, and you just want to quickly check your cold status, it can literally be deadly if it causes you to get lost.

And yes, it does happen every single time, 100% reproducible (on Mac).

We were unable to reproduce this bug in-house. However we added some code that should prevent it. After the next release let us know if it still happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Devs, all,

This is using a Mac OS10.10.3, this issue is still apparent and is causing camera jerking to exactly where my cursor was located before the dialog/inventory boxes are closed. The most recent response to this issue with the video is exactly the issue and has yet been fixed. This has caused me to become disoriented and lost in blizzard conditions, moreover causing other players losing everything as in the link in a previous comment on a YouTube gamer that experienced this same issue and falling off a bridge.

All one needs to do is move the cursor in any direction off the (0,0) point and close the inventory/menu. Once you move the mouse the slightest bit, it jumps to the location your cursor was at whilst the menu was open.

Thank you for your time and Keep up the great work.

• 2 months later...

MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013

CPU: 2.3GHz Intel Core 7

RAM: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Mouse: Logitech M705 Wireless USB Mouse

External Display: BenQ GL2450H at 1920 x 1080

TLD Settings

Display

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Quality: High

Screen Mode: Full Screen

Units: Metric

Clock Type: 24 Hour

Vertical Sync: Off

Hud: Normal

Subtitles: Off

Language: English

FOV: 80.1

Controls

Enable Gamepad: Off

Mouse Sensitivity: 51%

Aim Sensitivity: 10%

Invert Y: Invert Y

Guest mcopeman

This seems to be an issue with Logitech mouses. I've passed this off to the team but in the meantime, if you have another mouse I would recommend giving it a try!

Melody~

Archived